Thread: Peugeot 207 cam belt failure

Default Peugeot 207 cam belt failure

The cambelt on my "07" 207 failed after only 21k miles. The garage are assessing why this happened and say they will approach Peugeot to see what they are prepared to offer to repairs. Has anyone had similiar experience and were Peugeot helpful? Fortunately it happened at low speed.

Which engine is in your 207? Is it the 1.4 16 valve petrol? The timing belt replacement interval is 100,000 miles or 10 years if it is.

In my opinion this failure is due to poor build quality unless the belt has been changed at any time previously e.g. if the head was removed to fix an oil leak. As the interval is 100,000 miles then it is expected that the belt will not fail before then. Peugeot should repair your car free of any charge irrespective of the warranty period of 3 years being over. You need to contact Peugeot UK and demand they fix your car. If they refuse or make an offer, advise them that you will be contacting Consumer Direct with a view to initiating action through Trading Standards.
    Cam belts usually break at starting or slow speed and normally this is due to the belt being too slack. Other causes are failure of the tensioner or the water pump.

Snap, no pun intended.
    My daughter's 207 cambelt went last night. It was a 2007 1.4 model with 20K miles on the clock.

Hi, Peugeot garage very good, but wasn't happy with first goodwill offer so had to go direct through Peugeot customer relations. Finally achieved a much better goodwill gesture towards all costs from Peugeot. You will need to show that car has been fully serviced by Peugeot. Good Luck

my 207 (07) with 41K has just snapped it's timing belt - peugeot were not interested at all as it has not got a full service history with peugeot. Independant garage stripped it down found that the water pump had seized which caused the belt to snap - bending all of the valves thank god the head was ok all the work done cost 650.00 thank you peugeot!!!! let this be a warning to you all. will somebody please tell me what mileage the timing belt should be changed as i has received differing information even from two different peugeot dealers nobody seems to know.

2007 1.4 16 valve is as stated above - 100,000 miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

Have either of you had any joy with Peugeot? Mine went yesterday, 28k on the clock and less than 5yrs old. I have full service history. Can you let me know. Thanks