Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Focus Stalls & Glow Plug Light Comes On

Unhappy Focus Stalls & Glow Plug Light Comes On

I need a bit of help.

I was driving home a few days ago and the car had been running for around 10 mins.

I was on the motorway and suddenly it lost all power to the accelerator & the glow plug lamp started flashing.

I pulled over on the hard shoulder and stopped the engine.

It would not re-start.

I looked under the bonnet, checked security of all electrical leads + battery and got back in.

I tried to start it, but it wouldn't, I tried again and it fired and I made it home.

24 hours later, same scenario but it made it a bit further down the motorway (had been fine coming into work).

Next day I did a short run to pick up our daughter, got out at the childminders & when I got back in, it would not start.

I had the spare key with me as I had read it could possibly be an immobiliser problem. Anyway no joy. Got out wiggled wires again, got back in and it started.

Made it a mile up the road, accelerating up the hill and it lost revs again.

I sat there for 5 mins and eventually it started.

Took it into work yesterday and got a mate who is a mechanic to hook his laptop upto the Engine Management Unit.

He could not get any fault codes.

I had read it might be the accelerator so I removed it to have a look, but it is a sealed unit.

I started engine whith plug disconnected though and it does produce the flashing glow plug light symptom.

Anyway it made it home ok.

Finally today I came into work and 10 miles into the journey it lost speed and the glow lamp flashed and the engine stops (on it's own).

This time I tried to start it. Same thing won't start.

It was hissing down with rain, so I sat there tried to start it occasionally and then lo and behold after the magic 5 minutes it started again and I made it to work with no problems.

I have read various forums (including this).

Prime suspects are
    1) Water in the fuel
    2)Software (But to my knowledge I have the latest as my Dual Mass flywheel gave up (Common problem) - They upgraded it it prior to replacing my entire clutch, starter motor & flywheel) - Mind you they missed a few nuts off putting it all back from what I can see
    3)Fuel lines are made of hardened metal - They crack, and bits get into your fuel system - cue yet more money to replace entire system & drain the tank.
    4)Accelerator Pedal - Mis-reads due to worn carbon track
    5)Speed Sensor - Normally when slowing down (not been the case every time mine stalled)
    6)ECU - Engine Control Unit ???
    7)Cam Sensor
    8)Immobiliser

Anyway if anyone has an idea as to what is the cause based on my unique symptoms, please post.

I am hoping it is not going to cost another fortune as I already had to pay out 650 (Ford paid out the other 650) in December for the Flywheel saga (And it was a Ford Direct car)

I am going to put some decent fuel in (Shell etc)
    See if there is a diesel injector cleaner I can put in the fuel (Like Redex)
    Change the fuel filter.

Beyond that I could buy an accelerator from a scrap merchant to see if it is that.

The car is a Focus TDCi 1.8
    53 Reg

Thanks

Richard

There are other threads on this forum that are talking about the same problem. you are not alone. the symptoms you have are almost the same as mine too...
    "Ford Focus TDCI spark plug light" and "Focus diesel will not start" are two searches for you to try.
    Mine is back at the Ford main agent again, still waiting for news....

Mine's still in the garage...
    Looking like fuel pump.... :-(

Default Further Info

There have been a few more instances of it stalling.

However I have a mechanic friend who tired to hook up his laptop and look for a fault code, but no matter what software it used it would not interface with it - If anyone knows a good package ?

Anyway whilst it was sat there it stalled (again after 10 mins).

Not sure that rules out the accelerator, but we were not touching it.

But would not start for ages.

This seems the only common denominator. It normally runs fine for 10 mins then stops.

Yesterday it stopped. I started it up again then it stalled within 30 secs. I started it again and it made it a mile before stalling, then another mile same thing. After that it made it to Bracknell. I stopped for half an hour then drove the 30 miles to London without incident.

On way home it stopped again after 10 mins, however I learnt a new trick.

Turn off ignition whilst it is coasting, put into neutral tap accelerator a few times and turn the ignition key.

This has worked twice now.

So maybe it could be the acceletor. Stop and your doomed, you have to wait a while for it to start. (wiil keep trying this method and report back)

I have drained the fuel filter (to no avail).

According to the service records it was changed 2000 miles ago at great cost 31 !. Haynes manual says 24,000 miles Ford did it at 37,500 ??

So it seems something is heating up, failing and then correcting itself.

I am hoping it is not the fuel pump issue as I guess this could be very costly (anyone got a quote ?)

I am not up on how the engine works, but would it not cut out constantly if there was a blockage or **** in the fuel ?

Mind you it could clog up with whatever is causing the contamination, then drain away to the bottom of the fuel filter whilst it refuses to start for 10 mins I suppose then.

I work with hydraulics and filters and if the oil is cold they clog first thing in the morning, so maybe the fuel gets thick, and clogs the filter. If the pump is not working then nothing to force it through the blockage.

I guess a good test would have been to look at the stuff coming out of the filter when I drained it, but we just used blue roll. It looked clear though, so maybe that is a good sign.

Anyway I have given up and it is provisionally booked in the Ford garage on Friday.

Don't hold up much hope of a quick or cheap solution judging by the forums.

If anyone can advise on which software package works with a Ford, I can maybe save myself the expense.

Thanks

At a Ford stealership you're looking at 822 inc VAT for a recon pump (you have to take yours in)....
    Plus fitting.
    I believe you need to remove your cambelt too - and you never replace a used cambelt, tensioner etc.....

I have gone through the Ford diagnostic chart and come to the conclusion that its the throtle sensor, it ties in with the circuit diagram too. I'm lucky, mine is under Ford direct warranty, but i've told them that this time I dont want it back.... at the moment I have a very nice Fusion curtesy car while they decide what to do...

there are some diagnostic tools on Ebay..

Default Ford Fixed It

Ok,

Now for an update.

Been in the Ford garage Bracknell.

Diagnosed Cam Sensor.

Part replaced at approx 14.00.

Total bill 110

Ok on way home.

Only time will tell.

Will report back if this fixed it.

you are lucky, lets hope it works out.... my dealership have already tried lots of sensors, or so they say.. anyway, i have my money back for the car, 100% and a new deal in place.. picking up another, but newer focus TDCi on Monday

Default glow plug fault

it is not a reply as much as i also need help with a 53 plate 1.8 115 tdci focus,much the same as the other faults it stops sounds terrible and some white
    smoke but then will not start
    first time this happened had it hauled into a nearby dealer not ford. And they turned the thumb screws to the tune of 1200 for new injectors, seemed ok for about 300 miles then it happened again stopped and the glow plug light flashes as it is not near my house i will go and see if it starts and let you now.
    any ideas much appreciated