Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sat nav speedo/speed limit indicator

Post sat nav speedo/speed limit indicator

ive just replaced my sat nav with one that has the speed limit for that road in the bottom right hand corner, with the speed that it says im actually doing next to it, which ive noticed is different to the speed shown on my speedo, so if the speed limit on a road is 50mph my speedo says 50mph, the sat nav could be saying 47/50 meaning im doing 47mph in a 50 zone

are these sat nav speed indicators accurate, or 2 or 3 seconds behind time

The speed you see on your satnav will be the real speed, Most car speedo's err on the wide side. They are allowed to over read but, are not allowed to under read.

In principal, the satnav should be accurate speedometers are usually slow. Yours is showing a +6% error which is about normal. In the days of mechanical speedometers the specified tolerance was -0% to +10%, I am not sure it has changed. Having said that I would still use the speedometer for the lower speed limits and cameras and or be very careful with the satnav, as you have no margin for error.

i found it interesting that it knows what the speed limit is on every road, regardless of whether you know what the speed limit is, but as ive only used it a couple of times so far i haven't noticed if the speed limit changes on the sat nav when i go past a speed limit sign

My satnav has this facility but, it has got it wrong a few times so be careful. I don't think you'll get off with the excuse I was speeding because my satnav said it was a 40mph limit.

yeah i know what you mean, but if im driving in town i don't tend have it with me, but i got caught one morning going to work, my normal route was closed due to an accident, so i/we had to divert, and had to take to the back roads which would have been ok in my home town, it was only about a 3 mile detour, but when you don't know where your going it's a bit of a nightmare when everyone else does,

I'm always amazed how the sat-nav gives you a ETA!

My one was playing up last week, as when I set it to "Home" when leaving Leath, it kept giving me same instructions it gave me to get there??

I gave up in the end and turned it off, luckily I had an idea of how to get to the Forth Bridge, and knew the way from there.

i did have a RAC 300 but ive only just upgraded to a TOMTOM because the RAC one will not download active sync with windows7, works fine with windows xp, but after the computer went pear-shaped, i upgrade to windows 7 on the new computer, but other than that i had no problems with the rac one

Quote.."RAC one will not download active sync with windows7,"

What does that mean tommytwotanks?

well, when i changed computers i needed to download "Microsoft active sync" you have to download this software so that you can update the maps on RAC sat nav's, i tried to download this software, after several minute's a window opens and says its not compatible, i dont know if it was my computer "windows7" or "Microsoft active sync" @ microsoft saying this, but this software worked fine on windows xp, strange that