Thread: Would this reduce pile ups/ secondary crashes?

Default Would this reduce pile ups/ secondary crashes?

Hi.This is an idea I have been thinking about - hoping to save some lives and im interested in anything you might have to say

Unfortunately I cant show you the poster I made cause this forum doesn't allow any kind of links (please can you atleast enable the writing of address i.e. not linked)

But its a very simple concept:
    Basically this is a small transmitter/receiver box (also with a crash sensor) that would be fitted in all cars/all new cars. This would both sense a crash in one car and then cause a light to light up on the dashboards of all nearby cars (within say, a hundred meter radius).

I think it could be made cheaply because it could use a similar technology to wireless doorbells which you can buy now for under 7 pounds.
    Last edited by sirius07; 02-05-11 at 16:26.

Devil's advocate: a crash on the motorway on the northbound carriageway. The gadget sets off alarms/warnings on all cars within 100 metres. The northbound traffic is okay as they will start braking. But what about the southbound? It would take just one driver to panic, stand on the brake pedal in the outside lane and a multiple pile-up follows?

I think Hometune is correct.
    If drivers are too asleep to notice a crash, what are they doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    Devil's advocate: a crash on the motorway on the northbound carriageway. The gadget sets off alarms/warnings on all cars within 100 metres. The northbound traffic is okay as they will start braking. But what about the southbound? It would take just one driver to panic, stand on the brake pedal in the outside lane and a multiple pile-up follows?

thanks Hometune for your input

Its possible - I guess it would subject to statistical analysis; weighing how many saved versus how many lost.

Quote Originally Posted by wagolynn View Post
    I think Hometune is correct.
    If drivers are too asleep to notice a crash, what are they doing?
    Well the idea is its suppose to give you a heads up - from a bit of a distance

Yes the idea is good but could you make it tell the tailgater he's far too close? Then cause him to slow a bit (ECU control that cannot be over-ridden) so he cannot come within x metres of your car? Now I would like that.

Volvo have something like that, it stops the car automatically of it senses you are going to crash before the driver does.

As for the motorway thing with North and Southbound carriageways, folk on the opposite side would slow down to" Rubberneck" the accident, which we all know is bad form?

Executive/premium cars already have had the option of collision avoidance, adaptive cruise control, lane deviation and side protection for 7-8 years and it is filtering down now to even the humble Focus.

As these are better systems and already in the market one would hope these would become defacto by say 10 years time.

Quote Originally Posted by sirius07 View Post
    Well the idea is its suppose to give you a heads up - from a bit of a distance
    If you have thought of this devise based on your own driving then perhaps you should learn to adjust your level of observation and its distance in step with your speed. There is an inherent problem with all these gadgets (automatic braking, reversing alarms, etc); they all tend to make the majority of drivers even more complacent, hence the increase in insurance premiums.