Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Non Geographic contact numbers for breakdowns

Another way of solving this is for mobile phone users to put pressure on mobile phone companies to resolve the issue, in the past they have refused to get together and work out a 0800 for mobiles.

Quote....."0800 number so presumably the RAC are still paying for the call whether it comes from a mobile or landline."

Well, why did I get charged 97p for calling our local council on a 0845 number, for a call that lasted only seconds?

If I ever do breakdown, I don't want the cost of the call (or calls) pushing up my phone bill, just to phone for help. As going by what I've read in here, if the car cant be fixed at the road side, its going to cost me an arm and leg, just to get towed to a garage

The last time I checked, 0845 numbers have a fixed charge from BT to their customer but the customer can choose to charge the caller whatever they like. BT bills their customer for the basic call charge and anything they collect from the caller over and above the basic charge is paid over to their customer. Other landline providers do the same as BT. This appears to be very popular among doctors, local authorities, and government departments. If you call on a mobile, there will be a charge for connection to a landline service which was 30p but it has probably changed by now.

Quote Originally Posted by smudger View Post
    Quote....."0800 number so presumably the RAC are still paying for the call whether it comes from a mobile or landline."

Well, why did I get charged 97p for calling our local council on a 0845 number, for a call that lasted only seconds?

If I ever do breakdown, I don't want the cost of the call (or calls) pushing up my phone bill, just to phone for help. As going by what I've read in here, if the car cant be fixed at the road side, its going to cost me an arm and leg, just to get towed to a garage
    0800 numbers and 0845 numbers are totally different. Companies taking advantage of customers through 0845 numbers is nothing new.

Incidentally, the mobile network providers are now offering contract deals where all calls to 08 numbers are included in the allotted minutes.

I have recently obtained an upgrade with my mobile provider. For 12 per month I received a Blackberry mobile phone (no up-front payment), unlimited free calls and texts to other Virgin mobiles and landlines, 2500 minutes to other networks, 500 minutes for 0870, 0800 and 0845 numbers, and free unlimited 3g mobile web.

Looks as though you have solvede the 08 problem Snowball.

Geez! Snowball, that's a better deal than I am stuck with, I'm paying 30 a month +Vat with T/Mobile-Orange, now called EE (for some strange reason) and I don't get that 08 number deal, but I do have all the rest of what's on your contract.

The worst thing I'm stuck on a 48 month contract?

I have a PAYG phone and it costs me around 10 a year.

Yea! I used to do PAYG for my mobile, but for some strange reason, my wife got me this contract I-Phone, I think it was because both her lads have similar contract phones, and they must have talked her into it.

Mind you, I'm not complaining, its just a miniature version of her I-Pad.

My PAYG phone was cheap enough, but pretty basic in what was available. My new blackberry, along with the enormous monthly allowances, is well worth the 12 per month. And upgrading my wife's phone to a similar package has virtually doubled all our total allowances. Much more than we need, but it does mean that we can use our phones liberally, without having to consider the risk any increased costs by running over our limits.