Thread: 0844/0845 numbers.

Default 0844/0845 numbers.

I am getting annoyed by the proliferation of these numbers. Possibly like many other subscribers, i pay that bit extra per month to have free use of my phone 24/7 for geographical land line numbers.

OK, I accept that companies have the right to decline 0800 numbers to avoid unnecessary expense. However, there is an outstanding need for a reciprocal arrangement under fair trading rules whereby, if companies wish to invest in the shared money-making habit of subscribing to these numbers, it should be a legal requirement that they also have a geographical number available. Why is the telephone ombudsman scratching at his backside over this issue; displaying rubber teeth as usual?

Recently changing my energy supplier (to E.on) the introductory number is 0800. but, for contact after joining them, their number is an 0845 one.
    I still ring them on the 0800 number and said that, if they had a geographical number I would gladly ring it but, in the absence of such number, I will not be held to financial ransom for the benefit of their profiteering.
    I notice many private sector traders are latching onto this scam; because that's what it is.

A while back I found this http://www.saynoto0870.com/

I do think it is bad when we have to pay to call these companies usually because they made a mistake with the service they provide.

Quote Originally Posted by MrDanno View Post
    A while back I found this http://www.saynoto0870.com/

I do think it is bad when we have to pay to call these companies usually because they made a mistake with the service they provide.
    For a few years now this has been my first port of call (it is premanently in my favourites list) but some companies have removed their geographical numbers; either hidden or cancelled.
    Our doctor's surgery has done this.

My next step, with no geographical number, is to look for an email address. Failing that, if the call isn't urgent or an alternative supplier is available, is to abandon the call.

I understood that the last government were introducing a ban on 0844/0845 numbers in the NHS, including doctors' surgeries. Anyone know if this is still to happen?

I have been using that saynoto0845 sits for a while now, and its saved us a lot, as we have that "all calls to 01, 02 &03" numbers deal, and I have always found an alternative number to call with it

Not only is the "say no" site good but it's worth looking up the company website - if they are dealing overseas, they will have a +44 number - this also allows you to register a complaint!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    I understood that the last government were introducing a ban on 0844/0845 numbers in the NHS, including doctors' surgeries. Anyone know if this is still to happen?
    Last I saw on NHS and 0845/0844 numbers, the NHS had been requested by government to stop using them but to make it an instruction it had to be made law, the last government ran out of time. I think paying for hospital parking is in the same boat.

Aye! we got charged for parking even with our Blue Badge, at Ninewells Hospital in Dundee!

Wrote to our M.P who replied saying that they acted legally. But we could claim our money back if we filled in a form, and took it to the Claims Department, which was only open for 2 hours a day, and was way round the back of the building, where no one can find it

Aye! you canny beat them Eh!

All part of patients choice smudger, you get to choose if you pay for parking or pay the fine.
    I do think they are missing a trick though, they could charge for the use of chairs while we are waiting in the hospital.
    The local hospital management, in response to a complaint in the local paper, said they do not set the charges as they had sold the parking rights to a parking company...