Thread: Ford Focus O2 Sensor/CAT and Code P0420

Default Ford Focus O2 Sensor/CAT and Code P0420

Hi

Ford Focus 2003 Petrol 1.6

My car has been running rough for the best part of a year!! Finally it has thrown code P0420.

I have been told that this could relate to either a O2 Sensor or the CAT.

Would I not have another code apart from the P0420 if it was the O2 Sensor as code P0420 is Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1) which I would suggest is the CAT at fault?

Also I might be wrong but the car seems to run better now the code has been thrown up which I find very odd?

Any thoughts people?

Many Thanks

Yes its the cat but in live data you can confirm this by watching the second sensor. It should NOT switch up and down like the front one. If it does then it confirms the cat is dead.

Hi

Thanks the 2nd sensor was reading a steady 1.275V last time I checked so think the cat. Can you (or anybody reading this)recommend anybody in the South Yorkshire area that stock and fit them at a good price please?

The second sensor should be a steady 0.6v or similar. !.275v is way too high. If you can get it scanned again check for this value with engine hot, cat hot (run at 3,000rpm for good 3 minutes) and hold revs steady about 2,800rpm. If the reading is still way high, find the short term fuel trim - S.T.F.T. - in the menu and ensure it stays between +5% to -5%. If it doesn't then the main fault may be elsewhere eg airflow sensor.

Ok I will get some new live readings and report back