Welcome to the RAC Community

Your place to talk cars, driving, latest EVs, news and views, and anything motoring related!

members
    users online
    total posts
  1. 42,137 Posts
    Today
  2. 257 Posts
    Today
  3. 2,251 Posts
    27-04-24
  4. General Driving Discussions

Conversations about driving, gadgets, travel, breakdowns and safety
    Latest post: Using passing places by
    48,050 Posts
    Today
  5. 12,593 Posts
    15-05-24
  6. 10,985 Posts
    Today
  7. 713 Posts
    16-04-24
  • School Memories
    We had the old MiniMax conical fire extinguishers in our school and they could be opened up. Inside was a colourless liquid and a bag of a red... see more
  • Stupid chemistry question
    As Mark07 said, white phosphorus at 34C, add to that; Silane at 21C and Triethylborane at -20C (Triethylborane was used to start the engines on... see more
  • EV Footprint facts
    Rather naive. Does the fact that child labour is used to mine the platinum and palladium that goes into a catalytic convertor enter into your buying... see more
  • EV Footprint facts
    It will take decades before the last ICE car is off the road and in that time the politicians will have changed and so will the laws. But on the... see more
  • Theft
    If the package was on the porch perhaps burglary? "A person is guilty of burglary if— (a)he enters any building or part of a building as a... see more
  • Using passing places
    I do whatever's easiest providing it doesn't constitute a danger to myself or others. I have gone into passing places on the right to allow buses and... see more
  • Aurora
    @Rolebama Wow, what a fantastic experience! see more
  • Using passing places
    There's a single track with passing places not far from me. Save going into details, it is in constant use by artics, cars, tractors, vans etc. But... see more
  • Aurora
    I went skiing in Norway back in the 70s and saw it. Seemed to go on forever from the Baltic right up past Finland. The colours and movement were a... see more
  • What made me happy today
    I was there for work, collecting an Elise and delivering it to Scotland. Because I had to wait, I was offered a go around their track in an Elise.... see more
  • Humour
    Illuminated tyres. I don't know what colour they were, but I imagined them as being the green that watch hands etc are, and contemplating reactions... see more
  • Jordans Garage Godalming
    A few weeks ago, I called out the RAC to my home as my car would not start. The patrolman quickly diagnosed the problem as a worn out starter motor... see more
  • Using passing places
    The Rule (155) says: "If you see a vehicle coming towards you, or the driver behind wants to overtake, pull into a passing place on your left, or... see more
  • EV Footprint facts
    It's important to think about the environmental and ethical issues of making EV batteries, especially with mining and labor practices. These factors... see more
  • Humour
    @Rolebama I am having trouble working out what's going on in the Goodyear picture? see more
  • Using passing places
    As a retired driver of long lorries, frequently on narrow roads, I will say that the main thing in these circumstances is to do something positive.... see more
  • Using passing places
    Thanks, good to know someone else shares a similar pragmatism I did remember hearing something though, not so much a rule or official guidance but... see more
  • Using passing places
    I do whatever's easiest providing it doesn't constitute a danger to myself or others. I have gone into passing places on the right to allow buses and... see more
  • Using passing places
    I came across a long lorry on a single track road the other day. I stopped opposite a passing space which was on my right, as is custom, so that the... see more
  • Humour
    Found this. see more
  • Need help with claim
    Its your money 🤔 If you think it is going to do you any good, then fair play, but having dealt with more of these types of crashes than I can shake... see more