Welcome to the RAC Community

Your place to talk cars, driving, latest EVs, news and views, and anything motoring related!

members
    users online
    total posts
  1. 42,136 Posts
    04-05-24
  2. 247 Posts
    Yesterday
  3. 2,251 Posts
    27-04-24
  4. General Driving Discussions

Conversations about driving, gadgets, travel, breakdowns and safety
    Latest post: Out of vehicle, to use mobile... by
    48,022 Posts
    Today
  5. 12,572 Posts
    Today
  6. 10,968 Posts
    Yesterday
  7. 713 Posts
    16-04-24
  • Out of vehicle, to use mobile phone.
    You're right. There are some exceptions, but I don't think any of them apply. see more
  • Speed limiters in July
    Anything that can reduce the deaths and injuries on the roads can only be a good thing. see more
    Could a punishment be imposed on you as an individual rather than applied to your driving license?? Maybe I am being silly in thinking I remember... see more
  • Need help with claim
    You "May" be able to claim from the pedestrian, but don't hold your breath as many car/pedestrian claims in recent years have gone in favour of the... see more
  • Insurance claim on lease vehicle
    OP, the car wasn't yours, you were just renting it. The owner has been paid, and seems happy. see more
  • M25 junction 16/17
    I travelled around the M25 yesterday from the M4 to Chelmsford and back later in the day. Junction 15 - 14 was closed from late PM until 6am so... see more
    The short answer is that there is no specific law to cover the circumstances you describe however... The law is quite clear with regards to using... see more
  • NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution)
    @Trevorhill171 You were involved in a fatality? Section 1 is Causing death by dangerous driving. Your statutory defence to the NIP still... see more
    Sorry, I don’t know but am interested to hear the answer… I DO know that if the payout was insufficient, you’d be liable for the difference…so why... see more
    Hello everyone, I recently wrote off my car in an accident. The vehicle was a 3 year PCH lease with no option to buy at the end and the accident... see more
  • Need help with claim
    Just to double check but were the modifications fully declared and insured? If so, I’m struggling to understand why they’d repair some things but... see more
  • Renewing Breakdown cover via Paylink Mobile [Global Payments]
    Hi has anyone used Paylink Mobile to pay for RAC Breakdown Renewal? I was having trouble paying online within the usual RAC website and an RAC... see more
    Stuck in standstill traffic on the m2. Turned off vehicle, hand brake on exited car to use phone. Is there any specific law that says this isn't... see more
  • Need help with claim
    If you have the details of the pedestrian, you may be able to make a claim from them. I knew someone who did this and the person he hit was covered... see more
  • Need help with claim
    Hi I just new advice I was driving and long story short a pedestrian ran infront of me my grill, bumper and windscreen had to be replaced I... see more
  • Speed limiters in July
    Overriding the set speed has not deactivated any of the cruise controls I have used in cars or HGVs. Pressing the brake or clutch is the normal... see more
    @Trevorhill171 @ TC1474 P.S it was section 1 see more
    I was in a hired car from Europcar, it was alleged that on the 14th March 2024 on the nip it stated Careless or inconsiderate driving. The notice of... see more
  • Speed limiters in July
    And from my understanding every time the ISA is overridden it's logged in the data recorder, and with most if not all new cars being connected to the... see more
  • Gearbox malfunction after service
    Hi @Kat8763, Welcome to the Community. I wanted to share some thoughts based on what you've described, I'm not an expert and I'm hoping that... see more
  • Minor petrol pump issue
    I wouldn't say that I chose petrol per se. I would happily consider any fuel (inc an EV), but this particular vehicle had very low mileage despite... see more
    @Mark07 My local (Tesco) filling station allows me to preset either a set number of litres or an amount in multiples of £10.00. Interesting to... see more
  • EV Footprint facts
    @TC1474 I totally agree with your final statement EVs are in fact great if you don't want to spend money on petrol, and want faster... see more
  • EV Footprint facts
    I agree that there are some serious questions about the benefits of switching to EV. It's not just cars either, but all those scooters and bikes made... see more
  • Speed limiters in July
    @Mark07 Personally I can see it not really having a huge positive impact People who habitually and grossly disrespect the laws will think... see more
  • Speed limiters in July
    Based on what has been reported, do you think this will be a net positive change for road users? see more
  • Legal Care Plus - clarity around cover for other family members
    So I spoke to 'a very nice man' (haha!) in the RAC legal cover team. This policy covers anyone named on the policy in any motoring-related incident... see more
    A few weeks ago, I thought I had encountered a similarly sensitive nozzle. In my wisdom, I kept filling despite the handle 'clicking off' several... see more
  • Aurora
    Didn't catch them but loads of folks at my work did. Bit annoyed as it was a G5 storm. Don't think they come alone often. see more