Temporary Car Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions

If you are involved in an accident, just call our freephone claims number 0800 015 6166, which is available 24 hours a day, and we'll do the rest. You must contact the police if the car has been stolen or if anyone has been injured as the result of any claim.

Please be aware that if you do make a claim under this policy you'll need to disclose this fact to your current car insurer.

Would this policy cover me to drive abroad?

As standard, we provide the minimum level of insurance required (usually third party only) in any country which is a member of the European Union.

European Cover is available at an additional premium for cars registered in the UK. This upgrades your cover to fully comprehensive.

Would I build up any no-claims discount under this policy?

RAC Temporary Car Insurance is a flat-rate policy for a fixed period. You would not build up any no-claims discount under this policy and would not receive any discounts for remaining claim-free or be able to transfer any bonus to another policy.

Can I use RAC Temporary Car Insurance to tax my car?

Yes, although this is at the discretion of individual Post Offices and we cannot guarantee their acceptance.

How do I get the necessary paperwork to provide proof of insurance?

Once you have completed the online forms and payment you will be able to print all the paperwork from the site immediately and all your documents will be emailed to you.

If you have problems accessing your policy documents after you have purchased cover, email rac@shortterminsurance.co.uk, quoting your policy number, or call the Temporary Car Insurance technical support line on 0333 005 0944.

Under what circumstances would I need short-term car insurance?

Short-term car insurance is designed for customers who require cover for one hour to 30 days and is available for both cars, vans and motorhomes. It is ideal if you need a temporary cover on a friend's car or if you want to take a test drive in a new vehicle.

Get a quote for Temporary Car Insurance.


How soon can I get RAC Temporary Car Insurance cover in place?

We can offer immediate cover on completion of the online application form and payment by credit or debit card, or if you wish, cover can be arranged up to 28 days in advance.

Get a quote for Temporary Car Insurance.

Can I get RAC Temporary Car Insurance cover for a period of more than 30 days?

Yes, up to a maximum of 112 days in any 12 month period. If you require annual cover then get a quote for RAC standard car insurance or call us on 0330 159 1019.

Opening hours are:

Monday - Friday 8am - 9pm, Saturday - 8am - 6pm, Sunday - closed.

Can I get RAC Temporary Car Insurance cover?

RAC offers Temporary Car Insurance (available exclusively online) that can be taken out for up to 30 days.

Am I eligible for RAC Temporary Car Insurance?

The eligibility criteria for RAC Temporary Car Insurance are as follows: 

Policy holder & any additional drivers:

  • Must be aged 19 to 75 (note: minimum age may vary depending on vehicle)
  • Must hold a current, valid full UK, EU, EEA, Australian, New Zealand, South African or Swiss driving licence and have done so for a minimum of 12 months
  • Any other international licence types are not acceptable
  • Must have had no disqualifications in the last three years
  • Must have no more than eight penalty points on your licence
  • Have had no more than two fault claims in any three-year period


  • Must be registered in Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man
  • Must have a maximum of eight seats (including the driver's seat)
  • Must not have undergone any post-manufacturer 'after market fit' modification (cosmetic or performance-related)

Get an RAC Temporary Car Insurance quote.