How to report an uninsured car

It is a legal requirement that all car owners have car insurance if they wish to drive their vehicle on UK roads. The minimum level of cover required is third-party insurance. In 2011 the Continuous Insurance Enforcement (CIE) measure came into force making it an illegal offence to keep a vehicle without insurance unless your car is kept off the road and has a SORN. It’s worth noting that no matter who is driving the car, the registered keeper of the vehicle will be penalised and will have to pay the insurance on top of any fine handed out.

To anonymously report an uninsured car to the police it is important to follow these steps.

  • If you suspect a car is not insured, you can run an online check on the Motor Insurance Database askMID, which holds a central record of all insured vehicles in the UK.
  • To report an uninsured vehicle call your local police station’s non-emergency line or if you know the name of the driver concerned contact the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 or go to
  • Make sure you have a note of the vehicle registration number, make, model and colour as well as the street name, town and postcode where the vehicle is parked.

Accident with an uninsured driver

If you’re involved in a car accident where damage or injury is caused, you must give your name, address and car registration number to anyone with ‘reasonable grounds for requiring them,’ for example your car insurance company.

You must also:

  • provide the name and address of the vehicle owner if it isn’t yours.
  • inform the police of the accident within 24 hours – if you didn’t give your details at the scene of the incident.
  • inform your insurance company of the accident – even if you do not intend to make a claim.

Motorists involved in accidents with uninsured drivers should:

  • inform the police that they have had an accident with someone who’s not insured.
  • inform their insurance company.
  • Inform the Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) to get compensation

How to report an untaxed vehicle

To anonymously report an untaxed vehicle to the DVLA, either online or over the phone, it is important to follow these steps:

  • If you suspect a car is not taxed, it is essential that you check here before reporting it. Remember to only report vehicles that are untaxed or registered as SORN and are parked on a public road.
  • Confirm the vehicle registration number, make, model and colour as well as the street name, town and postcode where the vehicle is parked.
  • If the vehicle is untaxed, you can report it to the DVLA via this online form.

Find further information here on car insurance or speak to one of our RAC representatives on 0330 159 1019 to get a quote.

Related Articles

If you're asking yourself "is my car insured?", find out what you need to do and the consequences of being uninsured here.


Find out what to do if you're hit by an uninsured driver with our car insurance guide.


It's important that your cover meets your specific motoring needs. Find out which car insurance policy types suits you best.


RAC Car insurance

Get up to 65% off RAC Car Insurance with 9+ years no claims discount