Thread: Saab 9-3 Tid 2007 Convertible

Default Saab 9-3 Tid 2007 Convertible

Was trawling through the forum and not much on here about dear old Saabs.....

I'm on my third one over a period of about 18 years!

2003 Saab 9-3 2.0 Lpt Convertible

1989 Saab 900 T16s Convertible

2007 Saab 9-3 Tid Convertible.

So, I was returning to the UK in December 2018 after living overseas for 10 years and wanted something ecconomical, diesel, convertible, cheap to buy! So it had to be a Saab!

I pick this one up for 1500 quid, years MOT, 150,000 miles with Full Service History and in great shape all over. Nice leather interior, roof is immaculate and works perfectley.

I flew from Aberdeen to London to collect my little dog at Heathrow quarantine and then headed across to North London and collected the car! It drove well, has lots of torquey power and everything seemed to work.

In 6 months ive now done 9500 miles, averaging 45-52mpg every fill up! Really loving it, but its not all plane sailing!

Day 2 - Battery so flat it wouldnt start! Was a way from home so called the AA (sorry RAC) and needed a new battery 100 quid

Discovered something strange after locking the car, the radio and satnav would come back on.....eventually diagnosed the Sat Nav unit drawing power all the time, so pulled the fuse and use my iphone!

Changed the key ignition switch module as thats a classic problem area for alarms on the dash about steering lock 109 quid

Didn't trust the timing belt history, so changed that myself, water pump, idler, aux belt and pulley, coolant. 90 quid

Changed the horrible corroded coolant pipe that runs across the front of the engine (never again cos that a nightmare job) 100 quid

Oil, oil filter, air filter, cabin filter, fuel filter 100 quid

Sounds a lot but im enjoying this car and enjoy the way it looks and drives, is a Saab despite the GM interfernce and the Fiat engine (which is actually a very good smooth powerful engine) but suffers with DPF and soot build up unless you push it on the motorway now and then.

I have a noisy wheel bearing just started (I hope) but at least they are very home mechanic friendly with no pressing needed. 45 quid each each, not fitted yet!

I have a clunk from the rear suspension which I think is only a drop link or a camber arm so easy to change with 2 bolts.

All in all its been a decent car for the initial low price and reasonable outlay to keep the thing going...
    Last edited by Markdas; 14-07-19 at 00:47.