Thread: Looking for a cheap car: dealer or private?

Default Looking for a cheap car: dealer or private?

Hello,

I'm new to the UK. I'm looking for a cheap car: under a grand. Maybe around the 500 GBP mark. I'm expecting to get a couple of years out of it. Would I be better off going to dealers or private sellers? I err towards private as I think I could get a much better deal at this price point. If I go private, where are the best places to look for cars?

Final question: any suggested models and years that might be good to look out for at this price point?

Thanks!

A 500 car from a dealer will be in very poor condition. Private would be better but make sure you take someone along who knows about cars and do an HPI check in case of finance or accidents.
    Go to Autotrader and simply enter how far you are prepared to travel from your postcode, select private sellers and then enter the maximum of 1500. It starts at 500 on minimum. All the available cars will be listed. Do not expect much for your money but try and find one with 12 months MOT and as low miles as possible.

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/used-ca...&isBuying=true

If nothing on there then try Gum tree or eBay but beware, there are a lot of dodgy sellers.
    Last edited by Hometune; 13-07-19 at 13:17.