Thread: Looking for a bit of advice regarding comments from my annual service (video included

Default Looking for a bit of advice regarding comments from my annual service (video included

Was just hoping someone that knows more about maintenance than me could chime in on a couple of things. Firstly, the video says that both front drop links are worn and need replacing. It's mentioned that a knocking noise could be heard when it was driven, but I can't hear anything like that when I drive it. Is it possible to tell from the video whether they really need replacing?

The video also says that the osf ball joint boot has started to leak grease. Where would this leaking grease come from? Does this actually need to be replaced as they tried to charge me £300 to do it. Definitely a massively inflated price as the rear springs needed replacing and I've already arranged to have that done for £100 less than the Ford garage wanted to charge me.

Final query, they recommended a brake fluid change due to the age of the car. Is this something that does need doing periodically, or only if I notice a decrease in performance?

Video link - https://vimeo.com/user100710042/revi...706/38fe826c5d

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

The link is not working.

The drop link usually causes a slight knocking noise over bumps. Can be checked using a lever but to be certain, best to disconnect one end and feel for play when there is no tension on it.

All ball joints contain grease. As the rubber deteriorates or is damaged then grease will seep out. £300 does seem excessive but as I have no idea which car you have then I cannot comment further. The sticky for this section asks for all the info in a post.

Manufacturers usually specify a brake fluid change every 2 years regardless of mileage as brake fluid is hygroscopic i.e it absorbs moisture and so deteriorates. To keep your brakes in the best condition it should be done as recommended as any dirt particles will be removed when the system is beld through. These particles can cause premature seal failure in brake components and the absorbed water can corrode internals including the ABS pump. A brake fluid change should only cost around £30.

If your car is at a dealer, they will charge much more so if cost is a factor you may want to take it to an independent for a cheaper quote but remember when you come to sell your car, being able to say it has a full Ford dealer service history is a good selling point.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I copied the wrong link. This one should work - https://vimeo.com/347779422

Default Ford

Seems you are talking about a Ford? As Hometune has said, try and put up the basic info on the vehicle you want some help on.....they are all very different.....

As Hometune says the drop links are hard to diagnose on the car, but those drop links are pretty cheap to buy and easy to change.....you need a couple of decent ring spanners, WD40 and 2 bolts per side.......have a go yourself?

The lower balljoint is split and you need to change that too.....again, with a few tools, ball joint splitter etc, for a garage, this is a very straight forward job.....and shouldnt be expensive....

Depending on the age of your car, a brake fluid change could be a good idea, but again, with some help and a pressure bleeder....its not hard to do.....

If they are quoting 300 quid for the service (assume oil, filter, air filter, spark plugs (if petrol), the drop links, ball joint and brake fluid....is proabably about right.......

Thanks to you both for explaining. Sorry, should have mentioned it's a 2011 Ford Fiesta.

The £300 was only for the ball joint replacement. That's why I questioned it as it seemed to be an excessive cost for that one thing. I do wish I'd bothered to learn to do stuff like this by myself and invested in the right tools, but I'm not sure if I trust myself. I already booked in to an independent garage for the rear coils and drop links, so I'll get them to do the balljoint and brake fluid too.

Iíd assume on a Fiesta that they are changing the complete wishbone. Havenít fitted one for a while but last time I bought one I think it was around £40 so Iíd had thought £150 including vat absolute tops.

Default Wishbone

Yep, agree, a quick seach and a Wishbone complete is 47 quid

An hours labour I suppose, whatever that costs......