Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peugeot 206 not starting help please

If there is no signal to the injectors then the either the ECU has failed or the immobiliser circuit is down inside it. First disconnect the ECU multi plugs and check for corrosion. A spray with WD40 or electrical contact cleaner and reassemble. If still down then you have a choice:

1. Look on eBay and find an ECU kit (secondhand) with identical part number to your ECU. Then swap every part in the kit over.
    2. Remove your ECU and send it to ECU Testing or BBA Reman who will tell you for around £50 what is wrong with it and how much to fix.

You cannot swap parts of the system as they are all programmed together i.e. BSI (fuse box), key transponder, engine ECU etc. By going down one of the above routes no programming will be necessary (you send the key with the ECU so they can put the program back in after repair) but do NOT be tempted to fit some parts and try starting as this may make things worse.
    From what you say it is either a wiring fault between the BSI (body system interface) and the engine ECU, the engine ECU or the BSI. If its not the engine ECU (after testing) or you swap all the parts and still the same then it has to be wiring (not the best on these cars). Might be time to get someone with Peugeot Planet (or Diagbox) to interrogate the car and preferably an auto electrician who can test the wiring for you.

Default Ecu

Agree with all that, many thanks for all your advice.......

Ive boxed up the ECU and will send it off to a guy I used a few years ago on a Mitsubishi GTO ECU. He does a quick tyrn around on a postage only basis if there are no faults and i think a £99 repair quote if needed.

Bloody Peugeot haha

Im away for a month in Africa and when im back it will be full speed on my Saab wheel bearing noise but will be changing a few suspension parts too....

Cheers for the good guidance on here

Its all right for some. I'm sat here answering questions..... lol.
    Have a good trip.

But im working in Chad! 12 hour days, no alcohol and only a 500cc Kubota to get around in! But it pays the bills and repairs the Peugeot!!

Have you tried a new battery on this, if its anything like my old 407 that I had, they have a system that checks the voltage on crank over, and if its not above a certain voltage it wont start it, it also puts it into the eco mode if this happens as well, if you've not already tried that, it might be worth it.

Hi Smurfy,
    Appreciate your input, yes I tried fully charging and putting a booster pack on the battery too. I had a good 12.8v on cranking.
    Its looking like ECU problem
    Cheers
    Mark

Default 206

Guys,
    Im still overseas, however just to provide some updates.......I remived the ECU and got my daughter to send it away to a known testing place and they have given it a clean bill of health! damn!

So, next plan is to get the crank position sensor changed over while im away......then if that still doesn't work, I am planning to remove the BSi and send that away for testing and possibly wiping clean, then I am forced to getting Peugeot involved to reprogram the key, ecu and BSi I believe.....

Bloody Pug

Lol, don't you love French cars. There are many mobile auto electricians who can reprogram for you so if the car is stuck at home......

Default Mobile elec

Well thats a good option.......id rather not submit to the main dealer just cos Im being stubborn!

Today my daughters boyfriend re-fitted the ECU and changed the crank sensor but still it refuses to start!

When im home, i'll go over the obvious wiring in the engine bay again, earth strap seemed in great shape to the gearbox etc.

The BSi seems another total black box that I have no experience with, so I am trying to get the help of an online place but one has a full inbox and the other wont respond via email.

I did start to look at Ebay for ECU/BSi/Key/ignition barrel kit.....but even that seems fraught with mishap and the need for re-programming.....how can they make this so damn difficult!

Bring back the starting handle I say!!!

Default Pp2000

Update ......

Okay after much trying and failing to get someone in Aberdeen to support a home visit and dignose my daughters car, and some helpful advice from Hometune......i've gone ahead and bought the PP2000 software and laptop, loaded and ready to save the world!

Im home on Thursday and I hope (Gods of Peugeot willing) I will have it sorted soon after!!!