Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Watches

I admire the beauty of watches but alas from afar. I don't like the physical constriction on the wrist, especially in summer, and prefer not to wear one. My choice, my loss; still a shame as I love looking at them, but it's not worth me getting a nice one when I'm not keen on wearing them.

Quote Originally Posted by 98selitb View Post
    I admire the beauty of watches but alas from afar. I don't like the physical constriction on the wrist, especially in summer, and prefer not to wear one. My choice, my loss; still a shame as I love looking at them, but it's not worth me getting a nice one when I'm not keen on wearing them.
    That's exactly the same for me. No jewellery at all - must be in the minority?

People think mugging is a fairly recent crime but in the 1960s I was on a down escalator on the underground at Kings Cross when I was grabbed from behind and a knife held to my throat. The mugger wanted my shiny gold coloured watch and it having an expanding bracelet, pulled it off my wrist. He disappeared into the crowds and was gone. He would have been disappointed by its value as it was a £5 Sekonda but today £5 equates to about £90.

I like to imagine doing a Liam Neeson in that situation, but of course I know it wouldn't happen and I would let it go too.

About 20 years ago my parents-in-law went on holiday to South Africa. Within a couple of hours of landing in Johannesburg, straight after unpacking and leaving the hotel, someone tore the necklace off my mother-in-law's neck and ran off. She started to follow, but father-in-law stopped her; he'd been there before and knew there is often an accomplice waiting around the corner with a knife/gun in case the victim gives chase. Not the best first impression of the country or start to a holiday - she hasn't been back since!

Is there some telepathy going on here? Just posted some old photos of a Rover SD1 I used to own, on Facebook. It was a South African car........

Hers my South African car that I had when I lived out there in the early eighties. . A 1.6 Capri with a 3.0 engine in it. It was a bit of a screamer. Excuse the eighties hair, 'tache and budgie smugglers!

That picture must only be shown after the 9 o'clock watershed.

But possibly not for ladies!

Or men!

Sorry D for F, hijacked your thread. Ford Capri - Essex man's E type. I've had 2 but never been to Essex and don't have a chest wig or medallion.
    Last edited by Hometune; 14-06-19 at 16:52.

Wasn’t the Capri what Europe got instead of the Mustang? It’s a nice car!

Poor man's E type was often quoted many moons ago. I had a tiddly 1.3 but later saw the error of my ways and got the proper Essex 3.0 v6.