Thread: Cancel New Log Book Request (V62)?

Question Cancel New Log Book Request (V62)?

Hi all,

I did a quick Google about this but couldn't find anything.

I couldn't find my log book after a week of searching so I sent off a V62 with a £25 cheque. Now !annoyingly! I've found my original log book...

I'm wondering if any of you guys have had experience of cancelling a V62 request after already sending it off? Obviously the DVLA are dinosaurs so you have to send it in the post!!

I canít remember the last time I wrote a cheque. Anyway, I suspect itís too late as theyíve probably voided the V5 that you said was lost.

The DVLA are pretty efficient I think, and you could have done it on the phone.

Apply by phone

Apply by phone if youíre the registered keeper on the log book thatís gone missing or is damaged.

You need to pay £25 by debit or credit card.

You cannot apply by phone if your name, address or vehicle details have changed. You have to apply by post instead.

It can take up to 5 days to get the replacement log book.
    I think you will have to chalk this one up to experience. And, hey! You now have a spare.

@motman, me too! I had to get a new cheque book just for this. I only posted the letter yesterday so I was hoping I could flag it with them to cancel the request.

@Santa, I had to change my address as well, and according to the DVLA website you can only do this via post (seems nuts to me!). I was hoping I could update my address and request a new one online like most companies in 2019, but hey..

Because they're changing my address as well, I'm thinking I might as well just let it slide...

I've just called the DVLA and they've opened a "case" to cancel the incoming letter and destroy the cheque. Turns out they do have my current address (I assume they pull it from my driving license which I did update recently?). So panic is over and I've saved myself £25.

Just wanted to update you guys, and let others know in case they find this thread in the future

It is a legal requirement to tell DVLA when you change your address. Your driving licence is seperate from your V5c and I would be surprised if updating one, changes the other. You can change the address on your licence online, but the V5c has to be sent by post.

You must update your vehicle log book (V5C) if you change your address or name. Itís normally free to update it.

You can be fined up to £1,000 if you do not tell DVLA when your address changes.

Your vehicle tax reminder letter (V11) and any vehicle tax refunds will be sent to the wrong address if you do not update your log book.
    We have had many posts on this site where people have had difficulties because they failed to do it; no £1000 fines, but many speeding fines gone astray or people being caught with no VED because the reminder went to the old address.
    Last edited by Santa; 10-05-19 at 10:10.