Thread: ka problem

Default ka problem

hi I have a 2007 ford ka 1.3 zetec the fan wasn't working when I brought it so I have put new thermostat and sensor thing that goes in the same housing as the thermostat still not working so I fitted a new heater control valve which is under the plastic near the windscreen wipers now I'm not a mechanic and I done this work of a you tube video but everything went bk on as the old came off and its still not coming on I took the plug of the sensor switch and fan came on. I was told theres a fuse on the battery but the guy in a auto shop said it was ok. I'm now at a dead end on what to do next any advise please guys would be a big help. also my water was going down really fast b4 I changed thermostat its better now but still going down just not as fast????

First, did you buy it from a dealer within the last six months, if so take it back and tell the dealer to fix it.

You say the fan is not working, do you mean the heater fan or the radiator cooling fan?

If the coolant level is going down, you have a leak or are you over filling it?

If there is a leak you need to inspect, the radiator, coolant pipes and joints, heater pipes and joints, core plugs (on the side of the engine) for any sign of a leak. Do this with the engine hot, and the filler cap on. If no leaks are found, ask a garage to do a chemical test to see if the cylinder head gasket has failed.

I hope you are keeping the antifreeze concentration correct, if you let the engine freeze that will be very expensive.

If we are dealing with the radiator fan then you need to prove there is 12 v available to the temperature operated switch and 12 v to the fan when the switch is on, after that check how the fan is earthed.

If it is the heater fan, check for 12 v at the control switch, and 12 v out in all positions of the switch. If this fails on the output then odds are the resistor pack has failed.
    Last edited by wagolynn; 07-03-18 at 17:49.

You seem to be all mixed up here!

There are 2 fans on your car. There is one inside the car which blows air on to the windscreen, your feet and the vents. You control the temperature with the dials on the centre part of the dash. The heater fan is controlled by the switch which you turn. When you turn the fan up does the blower inside the car blow air?

The heater valve that you have replaced controls the temperature INSIDE the car. If you turn the switch to hot (red) and turn the blower switch up you should get hot air inside the car. Turn it to cold (blue) and the air will get colder after a few seconds.

The second fan is fitted to the radiator. It is controlled by the thermostat and temperature sensor that you have replaced. When you disconnect the plug from the switch the ECU (computer that controls the engine) thinks you have overheated the engine and so starts the fan running. As you have done that and you can hear the radiator fan working then all that side of the system is working. The fan will only come on when the engine temperature gets above 92 degrees centigrade so you may not get to that on a very cold day unless you rev up the engine for a while. Then the fan will come on and go off and on etc.

I'm guessing the fan inside the car is not working? It has nothing to do with the thermostat, switch or the heater valve. Either the fan motor itself has failed or the switch unit on the dash that you turn has failed.

If your coolant level is going down then it could be a leak so a good inspection is needed. After the thermostat was fitted was the system bled of all air? If not then you will get this problem. If it is good then an internal engine leak such as a failed head gasket would cause three things: 1. coolant level dropping regularly : 2. no hot air inside the car : 3. the radiator fan not to come on as the sensor is sitting in
    air and not hot water.

From your post its clear you need expert help. Take it to a garage for a diagnosis.
    Last edited by Hometune; 07-03-18 at 18:39.

Default problem found

hi thanks for reply ..sorry its the fan that cools the engine... when I brought the car steam or smoke came out the right side of the engine where the coolant goes I put water in it to get me home (2 miles) then that night we was hit with the bad weather when I went to change the thermostat there was ice in the pipes I used warm water to pour in to melt it, i have now got a head gasket problem, now i had a mechanic who is a friend of the person i brought the car from say he wouldn't do a duratec engine gasket coz there to hard to do but my stepdad who is a 5star mechanic says they are easy to do, is this some thing i could do myself i cant pay 400 odd pound for a garage to do it... any advice on what i can do to fix it and keep my cost down I'm told its only just going the head gasket?? thanks all the work iv done on it has been from watching you tube videos

Quote Originally Posted by teamlh44 View Post
    hi thanks for reply ..sorry its the fan that cools the engine... when I brought the car steam or smoke came out the right side of the engine where the coolant goes I put water in it to get me home (2 miles) then that night we was hit with the bad weather when I went to change the thermostat there was ice in the pipes I used warm water to pour in to melt it, i have now got a head gasket problem, now i had a mechanic who is a friend of the person i brought the car from say he wouldn't do a duratec engine gasket coz there to hard to do but my stepdad who is a 5star mechanic says they are easy to do, is this some thing i could do myself i cant pay 400 odd pound for a garage to do it... any advice on what i can do to fix it and keep my cost down I'm told its only just going the head gasket?? thanks all the work iv done on it has been from watching you tube videos
    Changing a head gasket is not a DIY job. You need experience to inspect the head, bores, valves correctly. Yes you can rip it all off but its the reassembly that should only be done by someone with experience. Sounds like your stepdad is the answer!

Ice in the pipes? May be more than a head gasket now. Could be a cracked head or block depending on how bad it froze.....