Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad weather.

Default Bad weather.

Media reports have shown that a lot of 4x4 owners from all walks of life have used their vehicles and their time to help get a lot of stranded people and those cut off from essential needs. I hope that the anti-4x4 brigade remember this when we reach better times of the year. Our own daughter is forced to go out daily in her 4x4 regardless of the weather conditions in order to get to our granddaughter's horse to provide its daily care, and helping her friend, whose car is unable to cope in these conditions, get to stables where some twenty horses are stabled. Not a 4x4 owner myself BTW.

I think some peoples issue with some people that have 4x4s is generally when they have particularly large ones that never get uses offroad and just block up small roads dropping the kids off at school or being badly parked at the supermarket car park.

The large 4x4's are generally no bigger than, say, a Rolls or Bentley and whether or not they are used off-road is no concern of anyone else, and would be a poor excuse for criticism. What has been shown is that they do their job in poor traction conditions. Regarding the "off-road" observation, many private vehicles are frequently subjected to slippery conditions, particularly on grass. E.g., temporary field-parking at outdoor events (agricultural shows, grass covered camping sites, etc.). I have met all these conditions, and my 2-wheel-drive MPV has often required patient coaxing to move off, whereas the 4x4's have driven away effortlessly. Good luck to them.

The snag with 4X4s is the drivers, unless they are in the habit of using them to the full, tend to forget they may be able to get moving quickly, and move quickly but their brakes are just the same as any other car.

The previous bit of snow we had, a visitor to our road came charging in in a 4X4 only to find it would not stop, the new wall must have increased the premiums.

In this bit of snow, same visitor, demolished his mums fence, his mum says the brakes failed.
    The snow on her drive had been packed down the day before, by the same visitor, and froze during the night.

Like most things, you need to know what you are doing.

Agreed, wagolynn, but my point was about the anti-4x4 lobby who vilify 4x4 owners when it suits them to do so. And I am referring to those owners who drive and park their vehicles in a lawful and respectful manner. Of the errant ones, there are plenty of drivers of 'conventional cars' who are similarly guilty.

Even within the 4x4 brigade (and I'm one of them), there's considerable annoyance at the bad name all 4x4s get thanks to the poser element and some bad drivers with the wrong mentality.

I find it very difficult that, despite people volunteering to go out help people, whether in a formal organisation such as 4x4 Response Groups or as individuals helping out, there is an element of the public who will criticise regardless. I'll never forget the family whose car I pulled out undamaged when they went right off the road, not having the grace to say thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ficklejade View Post
    , whether in a formal organisation such as 4x4 Response Groups or as individuals helping out, there is an element of the public who will criticise regardless.
    That's just a general life thing - no matter what you do or say someone somewhere will criticise - one of the many reasons I don't use Facebook - if you ever look at the comments on there you wonder why anyone would ever bother doing anything nice. Thankfully those people are in the minority.

It depends on your friends. My FB is mostly full of pictures of people's children and grandchildren, stuff about Mk5 Mondeos and a fair bit of consumer problems. Without it, I may well have totally lost touch with the more distant relatives.

Agree, Alan. regarding FB, I have had an account for a long time but never posted on the site because of all the negativity. Seeing the diatribe that other contributors have received I prefer not to go there. You don't even have to make a questionable comment to get criticism - just APPEARING to be different to the crowd is enough to be a target.

TBH, don't see very many comments being detrimental to 4x4s on those very few groups I frequent on FB, although the A82 has plenty about hired motorhomes during the summer!!