Thread: VW Touran 105 PS TDI - 09-plate.

Default VW Touran 105 PS TDI - 09-plate.

This is my second Touran - the only reason for the change was to have 5-seater with full sized spare wheel instead of a 7-seater with just a tin of gunge and an inflator. Carrying a full sized spare in the luggage compartment was a pain - it was always in the way. We caravan, so the the full sized spare is essential.
    I have considered another change, but have not been able to find a suitable model to make a change worthwhile. I only do about 6,000 miles a year maximum - my mileage has not yet quite reached 50,000 - so the car is still in great condition.
    I get 29 - 32 mpg when towing, and have accomplished up to 60 mpg when driving solo.
    For me, this is a comfortable, nice to drive MPV with the practicalities of a workhorse to tow our caravan and conversion/ removal of the rear seats for carrying DIY loads.

The Ford Mondeo comes with a full-size spare.

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/rev...30-ford-mondeo

Here is one example from Ford Direct - the best way to buy one with a two-year warranty etc.

https://www.ford.co.uk/shop/price-an...transmission=M

I moved from Ford to VW. Every Ford I ever had gave one problem or another.

Fair enough - may be time to give them another go though - my Mondy has not given me any trouble; I think VWs are overrated myself - we all have our prejudices.

At 82 and still caravanning, with my current Touran and its low mileage it will most likely continue to serve me well until we give up caravanning. At that point a small motor caravan will probably return to our way of holidaying, and I can then look for a car that is not required for towing, so smaller and economical will be the theme. For a start, makes like VW and Skoda will obviously be considered, but I will not be deciding a definite on these makes without thorough investigation of my options. But some 17 years of satisfaction from my VW service department is bound to be an influencing factor.

That changes the advice. Your original post gave the impression that you still wanted a towcar. Of course "small and economical" is pretty much what everyone wants these days. With such a low mileage, likely to be even lower if not towing, you should pretty much disregard fuel costs in the calculation.

Quote Originally Posted by Santa View Post
    With such a low mileage, likely to be even lower if not towing, you should pretty much disregard fuel costs in the calculation.
    That is good advice - I don't want a car that is too light in weight, as it means less road grip in slippery conditions, or one that isn't sturdy enough to give protection in the event of being hit. No decision yet on when our caravan activities will cease, so the date for change is still open-ended.