Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Citroen Nemo Engine Failure

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014

    Default Citroen Nemo Engine Failure

    I brought a new Citroenn Nemo Van just over 3 years ago, it is fitted with the 1400 HDI engine which has recently ceased, causing catastrophic engine failure. The Nemo has only done 24,000 miles and has been fully serviced.
    It was called in on one of its three recalls, 18 months ago, for new big end conrod bearing shells. The work was carried out at an authorised Citroen dealer.

    This all happened 4 months ago, and as yet, neither the garage or Citroen UK have made any attempt to help, even though this is obviously a problem with this engine. I know I'm not the only person who has experienced this problem, as several other forums have proved, but I wonder whether anyone has ever had any luck getting any help at all out of Citroen.

    I have now put it in the hands of the Financial Ombudsman to try and push Citroen to do the right thing, and if they do I will let everyone know.

    Any comments welcome

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008


    French manufacturers don't know what words like honesty, openess, conscientious and customer service really mean. It seems to be a French trait to be unhelpful when it comes to customers who have bought one of their cars.

    Clearly there is an issue with the build quality of these engines and all I can suggest is a class action against the manufacturer. It might help your case to draw attention to this issue by contacting BBC Watchdog and/or Don't Get Done, Get Dom as national television will alert millions to the problem.

    As the engine only lasted 14 months after the last repair (18 - 4) then that is not classed as a satisfactory repair and would fail any test under the Sale of Goods Act 1979. So contact Citizens Advice in the first instance, register your complaint and ask for it to be placed with Trading Standards with a view to investigating on your behalf.
    Also, the Citroen dealer will be either a Trading Standards partner, or a member of Motorcodes or a similar organisation. There should be a sign displayed in reception somewhere with this info. These organisations have a free arbitration service and well worth using.

    If all else fails. then a solicitor - check your house insurance, car insurance or credit card for free legal advice - who specialises in this type of law.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Follow RAC:

Sales enquiries:

0330 159 1111

03 numbers are charged at national call rates and included in inclusive minute plans from landlines and mobiles. Calls may be monitored and/or recorded