Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Driveway - parking over a dropped kerb.

Recently I had some work done a a small skip was dropped on my driveway for the rubbish from the job. Being neighbourly I asked a neighbour could I put my car on her driveway to avoid inconveniencing anyone. No problem, so my car was two doors away. On the day of the skip collection from my driveway I had someone park a van on my front and two cars right opposite my driveway. The lorry driver struggled to get onto the skip and was going to leave it. Two neighbours opposite (so called friends) sat and watched him struggle. One came out and shifted her car but by now he was at an odd angle and it was of no help. The other creep carried on as if it wasn't there. I have no idea who the damn van belonged to. So in future I will not be so considerate as to block my drive with a skip and go out of my way to leave the road clear. The skip will go on the front with suitable lighting and my car will be on my drive.

We often have the odd car parked across our drive, even when there is no car in front of our or the neighbours house and, the daft thing is, there is enough room for two cars between the dropped kerbs. When drivers cannot make a job of parking correctly, no wonder there are road accidents.
    In over 60 years of driving, I have never parked across a dropped kerb (except my own driveway).

I seem to remember posting on here before about a friend's dropped kerb. They have turned to fence panels (6' x 6') into gates. So from the road it doesn't stand out that it is an entrance/exit. They also have a dropped kerb. They have called the Parking Wardens out a few times now because of people parking across the dropped kerb. As I said before, this Borough enforce all dropped kerbs as they are also used by wheelchairs for crossing the road.

Drawing up at a dropped kerb, this should prompt an observant driver to look for the possibility that there is an entrance. After all, many commercial establishments (sometimes small and in an otherwise residential area) often have tall, plain gates.
    Just over the road from us, the corner house has a garage in the side road. The owner has put up a sliding gate that matches the tall fencing, and he doesn't seem to have a problem with parking.

Hi, yes ive had a similar experience on many occasions. I own a house with a double driveway, occasionally ww get people who park across our driveway and most people are understandable if you wish to go on or off your driveway and will move. But every now and then we have had very un co-operative people who have refused to move. Last sunday i had been out all evening. I returned home to find a car completely parked across our driveway. I stopped, indicated and put my reverse lights on an turned towards my driveway. This is usually enough to tell people you wish to park on your drive but on this occasion the driver who was sat in the vehicle didnt respond. So i got out and politely asked the guy to please moce forward as i wish to get on my driveway. I then got a very slight ok, and the guy literally moved a foot, nowhere near rnough to get on my drive. I then got a load of verbal abuse from someone from a house opposite telling me, ' theyve only been there 5 minutes, whats your problem? I was then threatened by the woman telling me she would get her husband to sort me out.
    After i got indoors i found out the car had been there for over 20 minutes. There are really some unco operative people who have no respect for others. The whole ordeal has upset me and i dont feel like im entitled to use my driveway any more.
    I have now applied for a driveway protection marking, basically a white line to indicate that a driveway is present. We already have notices stating 'no parking, driveway in constant use' but people just ignore these.

On another occasion i returned to my house to park on my drive one evening to find a car ' dumped' across my drive with no one in the car. After waiting for a few minutes i gave up and parked on the road. Whilst i walked to my house i took a few photos if the car n took note of the reg no. As i was doing so a girl came out of one of the houses asking what i was doing, i said that i took details of this car she then said it was hers and shes entitled to park wherever she likes and i cant do anything to stop her. The biggest joke was that there were many spaces opposite which i asked why didnt you park there' she replied ' i cant parallel park and its none of your business. She was very rude and very dis resoectful.

Over the years we have had frequent problems over our neighbour or visitors parking across my driveway, even when the adjacent kerb is clear. The guy works at a commercial garage and used to do repairs on the side. He also occasionally takes "friends" cars for their MoT. At the house, until recently, there were four cars plus a few Sorned ones behind tall gates, but things have recently ratcheted up a step. A few weeks ago a 5th car arrived in the road, and on Friday a 6th car arrived.
    Neither of these cars need Mot's as they don't expire until March and April 2018. Both are taxed - and both are due for retax on 01/03/2018. So he can't have bought them unless he has owned them and been keeping them at another location since they were last taxed.
    Now, when he goes off to work. he seems to have three cars to choose from. This now means that, in addition to visitors' cars, there are four cars which have to be left on the road because the driveway is full.
    At my last confrontation with his wife, her car was across my drive. she said they had to park somewhere. I replied, " but not across other peoples' driveways."
    Of course, being the selfish person that she is, it is me who is the awkward one. If one of their cars is partly across my drive (and it has happened that one remains that way through the night), they consider it acceptable if I can just squeeze by, perhaps having to drop my wheels on or off the kerb at its full height. The question of this being a road safety hazard as well as obstruction seems not to matter. Non-speaking terms are the current situation - I don't like it, but I cannot concede to selfish and arrogant ignorance.

That's a tricky situation to be in, as you have already tried being polite and told them that it can't carry on like this.........................The only option left to you, is to involve a solicitor, or even the police, neither of which will improve your relationship with your neighbours, which by the sound if it, isn't all that good at present?.................................What about involving mediation? That would be the best thing, if your neighbour is willing to go there?.................... ................I know what it's like living next door to an arrogant stroppy neighbour, I've had one next to me for the past sixteen years!☹️

When I have asked for a car to be moved, their bolshy son (two of the cars belong to him and his 'live-in' girl friend) decides to get involved and yells foul-mouthed obscenities at me and is very threatening. This doesn't frighten me, but you can't risk it getting physical when in your 80's. I have found a great pocket-sized voice recorder, and intend to buy one before any further confrontations take place. With this in operation, I can take it to the police and prove threatening behaviour. The woman is a local councillor, and taking it to this stage would definitely hurt her pride. Currently, I think she believes her family is fireproof.

Did she stand for re election at the local elections a ew weeks ago? You could oppose her next time she has to defend her seat