Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Petrol Quality

Default Petrol Quality

I normally use Esso petrol, but a few days ago I tried Sainsbury,s after a day or so using it car not itself sluggish and consumption down by 2-3 mpg, run tank down refilled with Esso within few days back to normal.So it no more cheap petrol for me.

well i had this theory to, but my partner thinks its in my head, but i am convinced some supermarket petrol is better for some and bad for others. maybe it vairies for engines? mine is a zetec focus 1.8 but i cannot decide if the sainsbury petrol is better then the shell as i found the shell one gave me better fuel economy

Default Petrol Quality

All petrol must meet a minimum quality standard but be within a certain band of octane. Sainsburies and other supermarkets buy their petrol from the majors such as Shell and Esso BUT they don't have the same additives. It is the additives that differentiate between good and not quite so good quality therefore it is quite concievable that you will find a difference in performance depending on which brand of petrol you buy.
    Obviously quality comes at a price and the supermarkets can buy bulk without carrying the overheads the Shells of this world has and therefore they can sell cheaper. Additionally they are trying to tempt you into their supermarket to do your shop so it can be seen as a bit of a loss leader.

Don't forget that the majority of the cost of a litre of fuel goes to the taxman not the oil company.

Quote Originally Posted by barryk View Post
    All petrol must meet a minimum quality standard but be within a certain band of octane. Sainsburies and other supermarkets buy their petrol from the majors such as Shell and Esso BUT they don't have the same additives. It is the additives that differentiate between good and not quite so good quality therefore it is quite concievable that you will find a difference in performance depending on which brand of petrol you buy.
    Obviously quality comes at a price and the supermarkets can buy bulk without carrying the overheads the Shells of this world has and therefore they can sell cheaper. Additionally they are trying to tempt you into their supermarket to do your shop so it can be seen as a bit of a loss leader.

Don't forget that the majority of the cost of a litre of fuel goes to the taxman not the oil company.
    Ithink you have made some good points, the supermarkets buy on what they call the spot market this is wherethe main players ie esso shell etc sell off
    petrol that is close to the minimum octane level.so a little bird told me and I tend to beleive little birds.

Quote Originally Posted by mstar View Post
    well i had this theory to, but my partner thinks its in my head, but i am convinced some supermarket petrol is better for some and bad for others. maybe it vairies for engines? mine is a zetec focus 1.8 but i cannot decide if the sainsbury petrol is better then the shell as i found the shell one gave me better fuel economy
    See post from barryk and my reply I think we got it sorted.

i be honest with everyone i am just a average joe so if i did notice something its probably in my head but it be intrested to know if having branded petrol (shell, esso, bp etc) actually makes there car run smoother/more enconomical? anyone noticed any differences (if at all)

i be honest with everyone i am just a average joe so if i did notice something its probably in my head but it be intrested to know if having branded petrol (shell, esso, bp etc) actually makes there car run smoother/more enconomical? anyone noticed any differences (if at all)
    Cars run better on branded petrol (Esso Shell etc) as it is better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by ptr550 View Post
    Cars run better on branded petrol (Esso Shell etc) as it is better quality.
    evidence? source?

i think if its 95RON I think the engine will not notice much difference, to be honest i don't think if you put 98RON you will notice a difference

evidence? source?

i think if its 95RON I think the engine will not notice much difference, to be honest i don't think if you put 98RON you will notice a difference
    Try it for yourself run for say two weeks on a supermarket brand and then two weeks on branded I will be suprised if you don,t see a differences.

yep i am going to try 3 fills of each and i will let you know how i get on
    Would i notice a more responsive engine? better fuel economy?