Thread: New SORN legislation

Exclamation New SORN legislation

In order to avoid needless cost I wish to defer renewing my car insurance pending my return home from uni in June. The car is currently taxed, MOT'd and sitting on my driveway at home collecting dust and the insurance cover is imminently due to expire.

Under new SORN legislation I am required to make a SORN declaration and surrender the valid road tax disc.

Come June the car will need a new MOT. In order to be MOT'd it will need to be driven to the MOT test station which in turn will require me to have a road tax disc and insurance cover. However purchasing a road tax disc without a valid MOT certificate and certificate of insurance is impossible; not to mention I suspect the ability to get valid insurance cover without a valid MOT certificate and or possibly road tax disc ! Am I missing something here ?

Anyone got any clues as to how to proceed ? I spent ages stepping through the DVLA's unhelpful website (www.direct.gov.uk/stayinsured) and automated contact centre (0300 790 6802) this morning listening to pre-recorded 'stock' answers. I even rang the DfT and did manage to speak to someone but they didn't know the answer either !

"Driving an untaxed vehicle to an MOT test
    You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station provided you have adequate insurance cover in place for the use of that vehicle.

This also applies to vehicles being driven to and from a prearranged test at a Vehicle Inspection Check (VIC) test station, an approved weight testing station and reduced pollution test."

Thanks - yes, but whilst that would get me around the then lack of current MOT certificate I would still be breaking the law by not having a valid road tax disc (which given that the existing road tax disc would still be valid in June really makes a nonsense of the new SORN legislation requiring me to surrender it upon making the SORN declaration in the next couple of days).

No. If you book a pre arranged MoT at the test station, you can drive it directly to the garage and back with no MoT or tax. You MUST have insurance for the journey. This has been in place for years mainly to allow people who restore cars to get the MoT done after the car has been off the road a long time. Make sure the test station takes your details and those of the car so that if you are stopped a quick check will show you are not breaking the law.

Thanks - that simplifies matters