Thread: Ford Focus 02 dipped headlights not working others fine

Exclamation Ford Focus 02 dipped headlights not working others fine

2002 Ford Focus with foglights. 1.8 petrol.

Stopped at the shops Friday and lights were working. pulled away and dipped headlights would not work.

Main beam, side lights, indicators, fog lights, dash lights all fine.

Looked at fuses they seem fine in case under bonnet (took each out an inspected). Swapped over high/dipped beam relays in case it was the relay.
    Swapped the indicator/high/low switch stalk with one from a fiesta (same model no) and old switch worked fine on fiesta and fiesta switch did not work on focus.

Turning the headlight selector switch enables side lights and fog lights and if set to dipped will allow selection of constant high beam.

Bulbs fine in headlights as well.

If it were the headlight selector switch then surely main beam and internal lighting would not work?

Oh as well the headlight adjustment motors kick in and still work.

At a loss what it could be?

Welcome to the site supermoocow, it might be the switch on the steering column itself that's not working?

You say the bulbs are fine, but are they? Have you swapped them over with the main beam ones or have you just looked at them? Have you checked for 12 volts at the plugs on the headlight dip bulbs?

Could it be the light select switch (i.e. The switch that selects no lights, side, dipped, fog)? I assume the only way to know is to remove it?

The high/low beam stalk switch is fine as I previously swapped this out.

The bulbs have only been looked at rather than running a multimeter however one bulb was changed a couple of weeks ago and if it were the bulbs then both would have had to have blown?

Any ideas where in the car I need to attach multimeter to pursue further? Or just lump it and buy another switch and hope for the best?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by supermoocow View Post
    Any ideas where in the car I need to attach multimeter to pursue further? Or just lump it and buy another switch and hope for the best?

Thanks
    Just pull the plug off the rear of the dipped beam bulb and connect a 12volt test light to the 2 terminals then switch the lights to the correct switch positions for dipped beam lights if the test bulb lights up (or you get a 12volt reading on a multimeter) then you have 2 blown bulbs, If not there is no power getting to the bulbs.