Page 378 of 378 FirstFirst ... 278328368376377378
Results 3,771 to 3,779 of 3779

Thread: What are you Doing Today.

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    I must be going bloody mad in my old age. I've spent all morning deciding on a short break for Mrs M's birthday on July 7th. Settled on a 4 day short break to Jersey. Arranged for someone to look after the dog. Booked the flights, booked the airport parking, still to book the hotel. Destination was to be a surprise but I had to text Mrs M to get her to book the Monday and Tuesday off of work. When she came home she was asking why those days. I had to tell her that I was taking her somewhere nice for her birthday. She then reminded me that her birthday was on the 14th and that our wedding anniversary was the 7th! Aaaaarrrrrgggggghhh! Youd think after 34 years Id remember that small fact.
    Oh yes, I've got it right this time! Got a proper surprise for her birthday this year. She doesn't know it but just 4 days after her birthday (on the 14th July!) a proper steam train is pulling in at our local station, Upminster, at 9.40am and is going on a 4 hour plus chuff all the way to Winchester. We have three hours there and then it leaves just after 5pm, getting back to Upminster just after 9 pm. As a special treat I've splashed out and booked a table for two in a Pullman carriage (don't fancy sharing a table for four with strangers - they might want to talk all the way) and we are having a champagne 3-course breakfast on the way out and a 4 course meal on the way back.

If I can keep the surprise until the day, she wont believe it when it pulls in. In the 29 years we've lived there, I've never seen or heard of a steam train stopping or even going through that station. All I've told her so far is we are eating somewhere a bit posh and going by train. She thinks we're going up London for the day and having a meal somewhere nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gray View Post
    Well it's just moved back to early June, so I'm with you a couple more weeks!
    Oh well that's fine and dandy then. Abandon us all and leave us with Motman. It'll be like Lord of the Flies. And now you've posted this on the Interweb our good friend Dennis might sneak back in.
    Are you still taking lots of nice pics at the concerts?
    All the best Mike, you've done sterling work in the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Motman View Post
    Oh yes, I've got it right this time! Got a proper surprise for her birthday this year. She doesn't know it but just 4 days after her birthday (on the 14th July!) a proper steam train is pulling in at our local station, Upminster, at 9.40am and is going on a 4 hour plus chuff all the way to Winchester. We have three hours there and then it leaves just after 5pm, getting back to Upminster just after 9 pm. As a special treat I've splashed out and booked a table for two in a Pullman carriage (don't fancy sharing a table for four with strangers - they might want to talk all the way) and we are having a champagne 3-course breakfast on the way out and a 4 course meal on the way back.

If I can keep the surprise until the day, she wont believe it when it pulls in. In the 29 years we've lived there, I've never seen or heard of a steam train stopping or even going through that station. All I've told her so far is we are eating somewhere a bit posh and going by train. She thinks we're going up London for the day and having a meal somewhere nice.
    As you are soooo busy running your travel agency business, do you actually do any real work?

Yep, it's all go! Monaco for the F1 Sat/Sun, Spain for a week on Wednesday, then the steam train trip in July, Fjords cruise in August. I'm getting worn out just thinking about them lol.

Actually though, I'm still in bloody work now - should have been away before 3.00! Just finished fitting a fuel pump to a regular customers MK1 Focus. It blew a fuse so the AA said it needs a pump. If it was mine I'd have left it until it blew another one before whipping the tank out to replace it. The fuse has been in there for 18 years so could have just been old and cruddy. Of course, the bloody tank was near on full to the brim and they're not the easiest jobs to do on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hometune View Post
    Oh well that's fine and dandy then. Abandon us all and leave us with Motman. It'll be like Lord of the Flies. And now you've posted this on the Interweb our good friend Dennis might sneak back in. Are you still taking lots of nice pics at the concerts? All the best Mike, you've done sterling work in the background.
    I still get out and about a little. Anyway, you've got a couple more weeks of me then it'll be someone new taking care of you.

Enjoy the fjords - if you get to Flaam, you must do the scenic rail trip.

Thanks. Yes, thats one of the excursions we are going on. Also, and this might seem weird, but Ive been reading about an 'attraction' in Bergen, another one of our stops, that gets very good reviews on tripadvisor. The leprosy museum!

Hi Mike, best wishes with whatever you do next, and thank you for your efforts here.

So much for preventative maintenance! Mrs M noticed a few oil patches on the drive and I noticed my newly added axle drain bolt had a drip of oil on it. I tightened it a little. Next day, another drip so I tightened it some more. That turned into a bigger drip so I put a dish under it last night and caught half an egg cupful this morning so I took it in. When I removed my 'special magnet oil drain plug' I noticed why - it was made of cheese. Well, soft ally anyway and the thread was gone. I ordered a standard metal Ford oil drain plug from my regular supplier, the one with a built in 'O' ring, and that cured it. However, when I took the magnetic one out, the oil that drained out had a definite silver/aluminium tinge to it. Nothing had been picked up by the magnet and the original oil was clear when I first drilled and drained it so I assume Id introduced a piece of alloy swarf into it when drilling/tapping. Anyway, filled it with fresh oil, drove it round the block, drained it again (all clear) and refilled with oil. Fingers crossed Ive not done any damage.

On another waste of money note, Mrs M went with our sons partner today to look at some pictures taken by a pro of our Grandson, Henry. Hes four months old today. Very nice they were too, according to her so she bought two. They bloody well ought to be - they were seventy quid. Each! "Well, hes never going to be this age again, is he? was her reasoning. You could say that every bloody month!