Craft gin??

I recently decided to try gin. Now I am a big whisky drinker and with whisky there is a huge difference between a basic one like Grant’s/Bells/Grouse, and a more expensive whisky like Glenfiddich or Laphroaig, so I thought it would be the same with gin - i.e. you have the basic Gordon’s/Beefeater etc. then by paying more you get a nicer drink. The “single malt of gin” if you like.

So I just purchased a bottle of Sipsmith gin for £28 and to me it tastes the same as the £17 Gordon’s I had before it

Did I just get unlucky with the Sipsmith or am I correct that they are all much of a much? I’m a bit reluctant to spend another £30 to try another “craft gin” if they all taste the same. Also, if so, what is with the craze for craft gin?
  • 11 Replies

I hate the stuff but according to Mrs alan1302 Sipsmith tastes nothing like Gordon's gin...maybe get a set of miniature bottles and see if there are a few like...Plymouth Gin and Portabello Road and Martin Millers come recommended.

Hmm good idea, or maybe I just don’t have the palate for it, I guess for some whisky all tastes the same!
    That is true - I like Bourbons and can taste a lot of difference in them but gins all taste odd to me!
    My drink of choice for years has been gin and tonic and I just have whatever I’m given. Last year in Jersey we were staying at a hotel that had a huge selection of gins and as I’ve heard a few people banging on about Hendricks gin, I ordered a particular G&T and a Hendricks G&T. The barman guaranteed, with a smirk, that I would know the difference - even by looking. When they came up it was obvious - Hendricks is always served with cucumber and not a slice of lemon or lime! The other gin, I can’t remember the brand, taster like all the others. I do find though that what does make a difference to the taste is the tonic water. At the moment my favourite is Fever Tree elderflower tonic although the Mediterranean one is nice too.
    We have bought London Gin of various brands. Gordons Gin and, when in France, other brands of London Gin. Drinking them with Indian Tonic and a slice of lemon, we found no difference in taste between them. On the boat home, I bought two bottles of Whitley Neill gin - one Rhubarb & Ginger and the other Blood Orange. Tried the R&G with Indian Tonic (not impressed). Someone said try it with ginger ale - ugh! Haven't tried the Blood Orange yet.
    Also on the boat, I bought a bottle of Connemara Peated Single Malt Irish Whiskey. Very tasty - wish I'd bought more of this instead of the gin!

Our daughter and family have recently returned fro a Med cruise. I haven't tried it yet, but they brought me back a bottle of NOMAD Outland Whisky. On the label it says, Born in Scotland and raised in Jerez. Finished in sherry casks in Jerez, and 41.3% alc./vol.

On a more sober note:cool:, I have bought a set of seven (wine and spirits) stainless steel bar measures. Good move - the "shot glass" that I thought of as a single whisky was actually closer to a double. So when I poured a "double" - wow! Now, I will be down on my level of spirits and the bottles will last longer!
    Originally Posted by Snowball;n194667
    brought me back a bottle of NOMAD Outland Whisky. On the label it says, Born in Scotland and raised in Jerez. Finished in sherry casks in Jerez, and 41.3% alc./vol.

Now that sounds like a nice drop - will have to get some of that for myself.
    Just had a rake around in the drinks cupboard. Found these. It’s all my kids seem to buy me these days! Completely forgot about the Icelandic one my daughter brought me back from, er.....Iceland (the country, not the supermarket). 47% !!!!

I didn’t know Adnams made gin, I like their beer
    I like their Ghost Ship. Did once get a bottle of Adnams whisky sent to me by a grateful motorist whose parked BMW (new) was swiped by a hit-and-run driver in a motorhome, and I left details under the wiper of the BMW. Nice gesture - I didn't expect any reward.
    The Ghost Ship is my favourite of their beers

Did not know they made whisky either!

That is a very nice gesture of the BMW driver.

Going to look up Adnams drinks now...
    Just ordered a set of 5 miniatures from Master of Malt, great website you can "build your own" tasting set even from drinks that don't produce official miniatures, they decant them out. Made sure to include some of the ones suggested on here so thanks for that!