Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What are you Doing Today.

    Well folks, I have just got back from the week long work party on board HMY Britannia. This was our second one, as last year was so successful.

    All us old crew go there and help the association team in their effort to keep the old girl up to the standard it was when it was commissioned.

    We all had a great time, as its more of a reunion for us really, anyway, whats been happening here then

  • #2
    Britannia

    Originally posted by smudger View Post
    Well folks, I have just got back from the week long work party on board HMY Britannia. This was our second one, as last year was so successful.

    All us old crew go there and help the association team in their effort to keep the old girl up to the standard it was when it was commissioned.

    We all had a great time, as its more of a reunion for us really, anyway, whats been happening here then
    Hi Smudger - not had a party on board, but Mrs W and I did "the tour" a couple of years ago and we were quite surprised at just how, well, basic the furnishings, etc were! Seems HM & Him didn't live in the sort of luxury we imagine! And how anyone ever managed to cater for hundreds of foreign dignitaries from that galley I'll never know!!!

    (Loved the slide out car though - brilliant)

    Comment


    • #3
      Cheers for that Watcher, glad you enjoyed the tour. We made a good start of renovating the old escort boats, but ran out of time, so the staff will have to finish them off.

      Today, I managed to clean the alloy wheels on our car, before the rain came.

      I use a big bottle brush for doing that, it works a treat, especially on the front wheels where the break housing is

      Comment


      • #4
        Geez! its quiet in here tonight, where is everybody?

        Today our lad helped me to raise the height of our driveway gates, as one of them was hitting the ground while opening.

        They are just wooden ones that I made ten years ago when we first moved in here, but the G/Kids have been climbing all over them, don't you just love them!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by smudger View Post
          Geez! its quiet in here tonight, where is everybody?

          Today our lad helped me to raise the height of our driveway gates, as one of them was hitting the ground while opening.

          They are just wooden ones that I made ten years ago when we first moved in here, but the G/Kids have been climbing all over them, don't you just love them!
          Wish I could say my life was as interesting! I've spent last two nights taking down minutes as a volunteer and last two days typing them up, plus catering (unannounced) for several very hungry late teens/early twenties whilst at same time endeavouring to prepare food for said youths and my Mum and get all the camping gear together for two nights away in Fort Augustus - and we've had frosts the last two nights! Brrr! :-)

          Comment


          • #6
            Geez! that sounds a lot more interesting than the life I lead, and it sounds like you keep yourself really busy, good luck with it all.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by smudger View Post
              Geez! that sounds a lot more interesting than the life I lead, and it sounds like you keep yourself really busy, good luck with it all.
              Not really Smudger - when rallies aren't on, can get pretty dull! And rallies are hard work - if I do a control it can take nearly a week to get myself familiar with it and if I'm marshalling takes a good couple of days to do the homework. But it does keep me going - as Mum gets increasingly frail, I can't do the part time work I started after Dad died, so gotta do something to keep sane - not sure radio controlling is the answer though!!!

              Being on the Britannia must have been interesting - I was only her once a long time ago as a very minor guest and I keep saying to myself I should go on a tour one of these times I'm down in Dun Eidean but time is not on my side on those occasions at the moment.

              Comment


              • #8
                Aye! its worth the trip to see it.

                I had to do a shopping run today, and as I forgot it was Friday, the place was mobbed!
                (I suffer from anxiety which makes me nervous in crowds)

                Our lad had to come and sit with his Mum, as she tends to take breathing panic attacks, as she is terminally ill with emphysema, amongst other problems?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Smudger, in an effort to stop you dying of boredom, I wonder have you tried programming your computer. Here are a couple of simple programming languages (free) to have fun with.
                  The first (Scratch found at http://scratch.mit.edu/ ) is actually designed for children but has a big following so there is lots of information available on its forum, it is presented in a Lego like form, bits plug together.
                  The other one that is easy to get going with is Microsoft Small Basic found at http://www.smallbasic.co.uk/ This is just a simplified programming language but is more like mainstream languages, again there is a big following and a forum so there is lots of support.
                  Finally there is Stick animator found at http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multime...Animator.shtml again a big following so plenty of guidance and examples, no programming just patience required.
                  I hope one or all of these ease the boredom.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Not quite sure what to make of that Wagolynn, are you having a pop at me?

                    It took me ages to get used to using that Guide ML language I had to use on the BBC web site that I write short stories for.

                    I was only trying to get a new thread going, as its quite a popular thread on another ex service site I visit a lot

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Ops, sorry smudger that was not the intention, I just thought you sounded bored. Writing programs is rather like a self created puzzle, the prize is making it do what you intended.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Today was spent re-installing "everything" onto my desk top computer? I found out that my copy of Windows7 was "dodgy", so the new disc arrived today and I had to install it.

                        I was lucky that the company I bought all the other "hardware" from, sold me the disc, otherwise I wouldn't have got it?

                        Its been a Long day for me

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by smudger View Post
                          Today was spent re-installing "everything" onto my desk top computer? I found out that my copy of Windows7 was "dodgy", so the new disc arrived today and I had to install it.

                          I was lucky that the company I bought all the other "hardware" from, sold me the disc, otherwise I wouldn't have got it?

                          Its been a Long day for me
                          The day you wrote that Smudger was a computer day for me, too. Got nothing done as was on waiting for online support that took ages after an essential download failed. Download still won't work and am not a happy bunny as I lose tech support in just six weeks time. GRRR!

                          Today is a lovely day outside, and I've been trying - whilst waiting for a company to phone me - to get my leeks split up, some more cauliflowers in and earth up the potatoes and then I find that the eejit who I paid for three growbags has sold them. I'm well in trouble now as can't get to mainland for another ten days.

                          Had my first road rages of the season today! On returning from the abortive mission for the growbags (got money back and two large bags of compost in compensation!) so wasn't in that bad a mood I encountered the typical non-researcher, know-it-all and veteran of ignoring police signs visitor. On the third clear straight of STR, despite the usual flashing and indicating, the driver did not pull over. I very rarely get to the point of full beams and horns, and never use my orange flasher, but this ignorant driver just stuck to the road and even tried to make a bus give way.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Aye! even the most tolerant drivers can get angry, if pushed to breaking point!

                            Today I cleaned our car, then because the weather was so good, I spent the rest of the day pottering about in the garden.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I just knew I should have power washed our patio that day last week, when we had glorious weather!
                              As its been raining non stop now for the past two days.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X