Excessive moderation?

I had a post today marked in green and a note saying 'unapproved'.

My next post asking why it was unapproved was also 'unapproved' immediately. It’s a shame the moderators can’t do the same with spammers. Has anyone else been unapproved or is it just me?

Can a moderator explain why?

• 44 Replies

Morning Motman, we have made no changes to your profile meaning that your posts need to be approved. We are working on the spam issue and making behind the scenes changes, in which issues may arise. Please can you direct message me via the inbox your original message that was initially flagged as needing approval? We appreciate your feedback and patience. RAC.
    Hi Motman, please try posting again... we believe it's been fixed. Thanks, RAC
    There are 2 threads running now about these issues. The other is in What Are You Doing Today so maybe they can be merged?

I had exactly the same green page 'unapproved' as Motman for a completely innocuous reply. I sincerely hope the RAC is not going to minutely inspect every post before deciding whether to allow it or not. The fact that the section where unhappy customers can post their comments about the excessive time it took a patrol to reach them is being shut down speaks volumes. The excuse that it is not used often enough is plainly wrong as there are still sections with the last activity from 2018!

Hi Hometune, the issue has now been fixed as I can see you have been actively posting again - pleased all is back to normal. The issue arose through back-end changes we are testing currently. We have no need or want to inspect what is posted as that removes what the Forum is here to do and provide it's users.

RE why we are shutting the breakdown feedback section - as explained in the notice post, we have dedicated digital channels were people can discuss their breakdown experience with our teams who are then able to take their feedback further and investigate. This forum is not the channel for this and there are no teams on this channel who are able to deal with this feedback. We noticed that people were posting feedback without getting a reply or an investigation, which isn't right and is why this change has been put in place.

As always, we have said that we are keen to hear technical reasons as to why people are breaking down and hope this continues in the technical area. All enhancements of this forum is to make it a better place to share information, content, ideas on cars, motorobikes, future tech etc.
    So what on earth is going on now? In the General Driving Discussion someone called Becerillo has posted the same post 3 times. I reported this eons ago but nothing has been done to fix this?
    Today in General Discussion michaelyves has posted the usual illegal money nonsense that I have also reported. Why is this not moderated immediately?
    Come on RAC, get with it! :eek:
    I always reports spam posts but on this new site I don’t think they are getting through judging by the message I get . I’m still getting weird messages after posting general posts and have to refresh the page to see the post I have just posted.

Edit: Like this.

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/i.postimg.cc\/tJp71B3x\/5-EDD8-D64-7221-492-A-B129-8-A7-B527-DF8-F1.png"}[/IMG2]
    Strange that it happens to you as I don't get that message. Moderators must have finished early and gone off for the weekend. :rolleyes:
    I get a different message when I flag up a post which makes me think it’s not gone through.

I have tried and tried to get the moderators attention but no one seems to be around. The dodgy money post is still here and all 3 threads by Becerillo about a Facebook group.
    I'm guessing the RAC person who comes on here occasionally has other work to do and now there is no moderator as part of the cutbacks.
    I get the message when posting as well
    My first post adding an image let’s see how it goes

Edit: ok so I also get an error trying to add pictures, it looks the same as the posting error but says “no_create_permissions_attach”

How are you guys adding pictures to posts?

PS hope nobody from RAC takes this the wrong way I do like this new forum just trying to help with the few errors. :)
    Ahh - so seems it works when posting a link to a photo on another site but not adding an attachment to this site? I wonder if that is intended or not?
    They block j p g's on this site so Once you have pasted the link into your post, add an 'e' to change the j p g in the post to jpeg. Simples!
    Originally Posted by Drivingforfun;n194844
    Test

Its people like you who cause me so much grief. Yesterday Mrs H dragged me all the way to a vehicle wrap place so she can have a Union Jack on the roof of her new Mini. Just a subdued grey and black one mind. :eek:
    Originally Posted by Hometune;n194813
    So what on earth is going on now? In the General Driving Discussion someone called Becerillo has posted the same post 3 times. I reported this eons ago but nothing has been done to fix this?
    Today in General Discussion michaelyves has posted the usual illegal money nonsense that I have also reported. Why is this not moderated immediately?
    Come on RAC, get with it! :eek:

Hi Hometune, as previously explained within another area of this forum... The forum will be moderated Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm. Thank you, RAC
    So today I come on to the forum to find all bar one new post to be spam or trolls. Moderating a forum only between 9-5 Mon-Fri is hopeless.
    You would have been better shutting it down altogether instead of the current mess we are in. There are only a few members, in fact very, very few, who bother to come on here regularly now and I'm seriously considering leaving. I think it has run its course.
    I have to agree. There’s only about half a dozen regulars. I think the trolls and spammers are ruining it. How hard can it be to stop spammers? Surely moderate the first few posts for a set length of time would stop it.
    Or make one or more of the long standing regulars a volunteer moderator? They do this on some other forums I use.

I agree though, while blocking new users’ posts pending moderation is inconvenient it is probably the best option.

Or IP banning spammers, if not already doing so, although it is very easy to use another IP address.
    Administrator
    Morning all, thanks again for the feedback. We understand that this is an issue and has been for a while. We have outlined the times that we will be actively moderating and understand that there may be spam when we are not doing this. We are exploring options and will update with those but in the mean time if the suggestion of a making a super user of this forum a moderator is something one of you would like to do, then please let me know below. Thanks, RAC
    Originally Posted by MRenk;n195160
    Morning all, thanks again for the feedback. We understand that this is an issue and has been for a while. We have outlined the times that we will be actively moderating and understand that there may be spam when we are not doing this. We are exploring options and will update with those but in the mean time if the suggestion of a making a super user of this forum a moderator is something one of you would like to do, then please let me know below. Thanks, RAC

Only been here a year or so but as there are no other volunteers I’m happy to be a moderator to delete the spam posts if you think I’m suitable for it
    Administrator
    Morning all and thank you Drivingforfun for volunteering to be one of the moderators on the forum. We're currently working to implement a system where newly registered users will need to have their first 2 posts moderated and approved before they can post freely on the forum, this is something we want to bring in before the end of September along with a set page of rules so users can be aware when and why we will moderate posts. I hope that this will tackle the majority of spam activity on the forum but we will monitor this once the changes take effect. Thanks, RAC
    On the main menu page of the forum in the Technical and Maintenance section the most recent post is by dorynisha who is banned. This means I miss any recent posts by others unless I open that section up and go down every post checking the dates. When these spammers are found they also need to be taken off these pages?
    Administrator
    Hi Hometune, I have just had a look and that certainly seems strange as I always ensure to delete all posts by the user before they are banned so this should not display in the most recent posts. I will raise this with the relevant team tomorrow so they can take a further look at the issue and hopefully it is a simple bug which we can get sorted ASAP. Thanks, RAC