Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini roundabouts have two functions. In many cases the primary function is just as a traffic calming (= slowing) device. They have the added bonus of smoothing out the traffic flow at a junction.

Comment

• I went to Eastern Europe a few months back and you guys have no idea how hard it is to pass a driving test there. UK driving tests are literally a peace of cake. So I wouldn't complain about that.

Comment

• I question traffic calming. I am of the honest belief that I would rather have a speeding driver in control of his car, than not. Coming across a mini-roundabout or chicane or humps can cause a speeding driver to lose control. I believe I have also seen groups of hot hatches where the drivers are trying to get all four wheels off the ground over humps. Prior to the humps being installed, they would race around their local Industrial Estate where the most they could damage was either themselves or maybe a building. (These events being done at night or Sundays when the Ins Est was closed. Another stunt I have seen it to run the length of a residential road against the clock. Three chicanes, and parked cars make it more like a ski slalam course.
        My belief is that mini-roundabouts and some traffic lights have no influence on traffic other than to cause unnecessary delays causing the waste of fuel. If this were not the case, they could turn most of them off outside of rush hours, but they don't, causing unnecessary delays, and fuel wastage.
        Last edited by Rolebama; 30-11-13, 11:58.

Comment

• I 100% agree on fuel wastage here!

Comment

• The one that always baffled me was on the theory test. When approaching a tunnel, you should apparently tune your radio to a local station. The baffling logic behind this is that, if the tunnel is blocked, you're more likely to hear about it on a local station than a national one. Well, yes, but the odds of hearing a news bulletin at exactly that point seems rather slim...

This was over a decade ago, though. The highway code might have been made more sensible since then, though I doubt it.

Comment

• Just a thought here, but how do you get a signal for your radio when your in the middle of a tunnel?

Comment

• Some tunnels have the technology. Likewise mobile phones on the London Underground.

Comment

• I think you're supposed to check BEFORE you enter the tunnel. Presumably by pulling over first.
                  Personally, I think by the time any tunnel outages are reported by the radio stations the police will already have closed the entrance.

Comment

• Regarding Tunnels and radio signals: It depends on how long the tunnel is in part.

Tunnels such as the Mersey Tunnels are about a mile long and the Police radios need to be able to work. And some BBC channels like Local Radio Merseyside must have relay transmitters connected up.

If I remember correctly, following a major incident 10 or more years ago in an Italian road tunnel, measures were taken to improve tunnel safety and "Disaster Plans"

Comment

Working...
                    X