How to turn left here

Just near my home I often come across this awkward situation. See =>image here<=. I am driving along a completely empty lane on the right with a bus lane to my left. I want to make a left turn at the traffic lights (currently red). There are cars/lorries/buses backed up from the lights as indicated by the red boxes drawn on the image... So my question is where do I stop in preparation for my left turn?

Presuming I should not enter the bus lane at any time...

Plan 1. I could stop at A and wait for the back of the queue to start moving, then follow the back of the queue to B and then enter the left lane.
    Plan 2. I could stop at B and wait for the back of the queue to move forward to B and then enter the left lane.
    Plan 3. I could stop at C and wait for the back of the queue to move forward to C (or jump in if a gap appears earlier).

All 3 feel uncomfortable, especially if there is a car right behind me.

BTW, pretty much everyone else just joins the back of the queue regardless of the fact that they are illegally entering the bus lane.
  • 2 Replies

Legally, you should not cross the solid line. In practice, and especially since there are no cameras, I don't think that anyone is going to worry about you going a few metres early.

If you follow my advice and get stopped, you can tell them that some random bloke on an internet forum said it was okay.
    As Santa has suggested B is probably the best option, though vehicles already in the bus lane will probably assume you are trying to jump the queue.
    Stopping at C will have the whole queue assuming the same.
    Joining the queue at the back (in the bus lane) is probably the most obvious but I don't think you will stand a chance if a Mr Jobsworth comes along.