Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is very much true, but once more the map/satnav shows are different view. I would not be able to tell the exit is slightly to the right. Until you are half way around the roundabout. I am required to enter the correct lane before entering the roundabout from which the satnav would lead you to believe it's the left exit. I must admit I didn't take notice of the signage but then the map and the sign are contradicting and I am taking notice of the applicable speed limited and the satnav. As someone also mentioned in an earlier post someone not so knowledgeable to the area using a satnav would 9/10 be entering the roundabout in the left lane.

Comment

Originally posted by Donzeen View Post
      That is very much true, but once more the map/satnav shows are different view. I would not be able to tell the exit is slightly to the right. Until you are half way around the roundabout. I am required to enter the correct lane before entering the roundabout from which the satnav would lead you to believe it's the left exit. I must admit I didn't take notice of the signage but then the map and the sign are contradicting and I am taking notice of the applicable speed limited and the satnav. As someone also mentioned in an earlier post someone not so knowledgeable to the area using a satnav would 9/10 be entering the roundabout in the left lane.

OK. Ignoring road signs is seldom a good idea, especially on test.

Good luck with your next attempt!

Comment

Originally posted by Donzeen View Post
        I have read the high way code rule 186 and it's neither an intermediate exit though you have roads located to the right from which you can enter the roundabout nor is it located to my right. So at this point I'm looking for answers.
        Sorry, I missed this post earlier. Your exit WAS to the right, as shown on the sign and as discussed in my previous post. 1200 is straight on, anything past that is obviously to the right.

So Rule 186 tells you to take the RH lane, "unless signs or markings indicate otherwise", which they didn't.

It seems the crucial point here is that you missed the sign, while concentrating on the satnav. As Wagolynn said earlier, the satnav is there simply to give directions for you to follow. It doesn't replace (or override) signs or markings, or the rules of the HC.

Comment

Originally posted by Beelzebub View Post
          It seems the crucial point here is that you missed the sign, while concentrating on the satnav. As Wagolynn said earlier, the satnav is there simply to give directions for you to follow. It doesn't replace (or override) signs or markings, or the rules of the HC.
          This.

It makes sense why it was a fault, as you should have been in the RH lane.

That said, I stick to my belief that giving a serious fault for this is harsh.

Good luck with the next test. Failing a test only makes you more aware and focused the next time.

Comment

I failed my first test and was convinced that it was after getting off to a bad start when the examiner asked me to read a number plate, and I read one two cars further along. I felt quite aggrieved, but when I told my father he just told me to stop complaining and just to make sure I passed next time, which I did.

There is always a point at which it becomes unproductive to spend any more time analysing what went wrong last time and more important to concentrate on passing the next time.

For what it's worth, I agree with the others: Satnav is an audio prompt and you should have looked at the sign and acted accordingly; it's people following satnav instructions without thinking, that end up in deep fords or stuck in country lanes because they didn't see the sign. And yes, he was a little harsh, but the minors you had already clocked up might have influenced him - who knows.
            Last edited by Santa; 10-07-18, 12:19.

Comment

Working...
            X