Roundabout Priority

I'd like to know who has the priority to enter the roundabout? RED or YELLOW?

I remember there is a right-priority, but i'm not that sure if there is a give way double dotting line before the roundabout?

many thanks!

• 8 Replies

The general rule is that cars approaching a roundabout should give way to traffic on their right. At mini-roundabouts, it often depends on courtesy and common sense.

Rule 185 Highway Code

When reaching the roundabout you should

give priority to traffic approaching from your right, unless directed otherwise by signs, road markings or traffic lights
    check whether road markings allow you to enter the roundabout without giving way. If so, proceed, but still look to the right before joining
    watch out for all other road users already on the roundabout; be aware they may not be signalling correctly or at all
    look forward before moving off to make sure traffic in front has moved off.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high...oad-159-to-203
    On this one I'd expect the yellow car to look right - see no traffic and make there way on to the roundabout whilst the red car looks right sees the yellow can and gives way to them and then enters the roundabout.
    It looks to me as though north, and south are a minor road, east, and west are a major road.

North south road markings are - Give way to the right on a Mini roundabout.

East west are - Give way to the right on a roundabout.

It is difficult to work out what the road markings are intended to convey, give way to the major road?

It is important to note, the Highway Code doe's not give anyone priority, it only tells one party to give way.

In this case Yellow looks right, seeing nothing coming it can proceed, Red on looking right seeing Yellow, it waits.

If Yellow is sensible, it will keep an eye on Red because it may not be sensible, should Red make a dash Yellow should give way, it's quicker that way.
    It looks to me as though north, and south are a minor road, east, and west are a major road.

North south road markings are - Give way to the right on a Mini roundabout.

East west are - Give way to the right on a roundabout.

It is difficult to work out what the road markings are intended to convey, give way to the major road?

It is important to note, the Highway Code doe's not give anyone priority, it only tells one party to give way.

In this case Yellow looks right, seeing nothing coming it can proceed, Red on looking right seeing Yellow, it waits.

If Yellow is sensible, it will keep an eye on Red because it may not be sensible, should Red make a dash Yellow should give way, it's quicker that way.

Both road markings mean give way. Major or minor roads have no significance on a roundabout.
    I agree with Beelzebub - I wouldn't pay too much attention to the finer details of the markings, knowing that rules on a roundabout are always the same: give way to your right.
    @wagolynn - This seems a little complicated - I think the main thing to take away is just to give way to those on the right. So this means yellow = priority.

But you're right, back when I was learning to drive myself, my driving instructor told me "Don't refer to it as 'right of way' or 'priority' - simply remember to give way to the right and others are to do the same to you should you be on the right."

(Accidentally replied without quoting - apologies)
    [QUOTE=wagolynn;159059

[/QUOTE]

It shouldn't be difficult, they're both common and listed in the HC here. https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-high.../road-markings
    Well, I’ve learned something on that link. Yellow lines - single and double. I always thought they meant either no parking at certain times or no parking at any time. Mrs M always disagrees. Only the other day when I dropped her off at the florists, I said I’ll wait here (on double yellows). She said I couldn’t. I said I could WAIT on them as long as I was in the car but not park on them and leave the car. Turns out the yellow lines, both single and double, mean no waiting or parking. I suppose I’d better tell her she was right and I was wrong.....Like **** I will! 😂