Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone taken the new test

Has anyone taken the new test what did you think of it got mine in Jan so just wanted to hear peoples experience s in it

Most people here took their tests back last century - if they took one at all that is

Comment

Well, going by the standards of driving I’ve seen over the years, makes me wonder how the Hell some of them ever Passed a driving test?.........................................A lot of folk say it’s the increase in road traffic, that is the main cause, but personally, I think it’s just the standard of driving that’s dropped?

Comment

As Snowball has already mentioned, on another thread, many of us started to drive when cars did not stop easily, and minor crashes meant injuries, minor or major.

So we all gave each other space, and time.

Comment

Originally posted by wagolynn View Post
          As Snowball has already mentioned, on another thread, many of us started to drive when cars did not stop easily, and minor crashes meant injuries, minor or major.

So we all gave each other space, and time.
          Except less people are killed on the roads now than at anytime in the past despite there being much more traffic about.

Whilst cars are much safer now I don't believe that driving standards were massively higher in the past either.

Comment

Originally posted by alan1302 View Post
            Except less people are killed on the roads now than at anytime in the past despite there being much more traffic about.

Whilst cars are much safer now I don't believe that driving standards were massively higher in the past either.
            Agreed. Learners now will be better equipped than ever before to deal with the far greater volume of traffic and more complicated road systems.

Comment

Originally posted by alan1302 View Post

The major improvements in vehicle safety (seat belts, crumple zones, crash testing/rating, ABS, handling, etc), account for most of the improvement in fatalities. Add to that, improvement in roads, motorways etc., and the' improvement', in crash stats beguines to look poor.

In the past, more thought/planning went into driving primarily because vehicles had very poor power to weight ratio, and brakes (poor in performance, and prone to fading), stopping had to be thought out.
              Drivers knew that other drivers were having similar problems, therefore they were given more consideration.

Driving now is all me, me, me, with very little, if any, thought to what is going on around. E.g. drivers joining a, 'gridlock' situation or starting it in the first place.

I could go on, and on,,,,,,,
              Last edited by wagolynn; 14-12-17, 16:47.

Comment

I think that you are looking at the past through rosy spectacles. It's true that the main cause of reduced death and serious injury has been technological improvements, but to say that drivers at some date in the past were "better", is nonsense. I certainly drive "better" than I did then and I would be surprised if that didn't apply to all of us on here. As a twenty-something I frequently drove like an idiot and, I confess, not always entirely sober. This applied to most of my generation. Magic a driver from the sixties and put them on today's roads and they would be terrified.

I went on my speed awareness course yesterday and one thing I learned is that D & SI accidents are rising again. The graph clearly indicated a drop when drink-driving laws came in and when seat belts became compulsory. There was another drop when speed cameras were introduced, but it has got worse since the record low in 2013.

I think that people today are under pressures that no one outside a battle has experienced before. This, along with all this 'connectivity - never being free from a phone/text/tweet/whatever - results in them making decisions, and getting into habits that they would otherwise have avoided.

My opinion for what it's worth is that today's drivers are much more highly skilled than ever before - there are just too many opportunities to get it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by wagolynn View Post
                  The major improvements in vehicle safety (seat belts, crumple zones, crash testing/rating, ABS, handling, etc), account for most of the improvement in fatalities. Add to that, improvement in roads, motorways etc., and the' improvement', in crash stats beguines to look poor.
                  You can look at it another way - if drivers in the past were so much better why was there so many fatalities and accidents? If everyone was driving around knowing how unsafe they were surely the stats should be very low?

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
                    My opinion for what it's worth is that today's drivers are much more highly skilled than ever before - there are just too many opportunities to get it wrong.
                    I agree with you there Santa

Comment

Thankfully drink-driving is now a taken seriously to the point of taboo, and the vast majority of people will consider it totally unacceptable and not cool, even people on a night out. The challenge for the next generation is to have the same mentality about using a phone at the wheel.

Comment

Aye! and the thing is, that hands free kits are so much cheaper these days, even for somome who hardly uses their phone in the car, a few quid spent on that, could save you’re life, and others!........................................... ...........Even the top of the range ones, that them business folk use, are cheaper now

Comment

A lot of modern cars link to the phone when you start them. Mine will even phone for help if the airbags go off.

Comment

Originally posted by Santa View Post
                            A lot of modern cars link to the phone when you start them.
                            Mine does that. Though I still don't like using the Bluetooth as it is nothing like talking with a passenger, who can see the road ahead and knows when the driver needs to concentrate.

Comment

I took the test today and passed with one minor. It was my fifth test in total and the first one with the new format (and thankfully never again). The new format is miles better (and the examiner was simply nicer...). It's far more realistic and the route flows much better. You can do far more planning ahead with the 20 minute independent drive with SatNav. I even got to do the pull up on the right-hand side and reverse and drive out manoeuvre. I really think it's a much better test.

Comment

Working...
                              X