Failed first driving test, how to i keep positive about next test?

hi everyone, so basically yesterday (2nd May) I failed my first automatic driving test, only got 4 minors but my serious was that I overtook a rubbish lorry when I thought it was clear, and a on coming car (which I didn't see) had to slow down for me (not dangerously close, but they had to change their speed) so when I got back to the centre and found out I failed I was gutted, lost for words because I could have passed if it wasn't for one little mistake. Well ive managed to get another test booked for the 18th may, at a test centre close to my original centre, so i'd like to know how to keep positive about my next test, as I feel so low after over a year of lessons, so any advice please. P.S sorry for the rant, I just need to talk about it. thanks
  • 16 Replies

Happy to oblige and talk. If you only failed on that one thing then you've done the right thing to rebook another test for the near future.

As regards the reason you failed, if it feels like a gamble to overtake a stationary vehicle, then don't do it. Sometimes the examiner may feel it was safe to go when you think it wasn't, in which case the worst thing you will normally have is a minor for undue hesitation, but not a fail unless it's exceptional.

I know the gutting feeling when you fail your test - I did twice before I passed.

It's just one of those things that happens in life, you will pass eventually. Have as many lessons as you can between now and the next one. You can always take your instructor in the back seat on your test if it makes you more relaxed.
    There is always an element of luck. I failed my first test because I turned right across a stream of cyclists coming out of a nearby factory. One of them saw my problem and stopped to let me cross; that was a fail according to the tester. Four O'clock on a Friday was clearly a bad time to take a test.

When I took my HGV test, my instructor illustrated the luck element this way: "You are making a left turn into a side street and there is a chance that the trailer wheels will mount the kerb as you go round. If there are no pedestrians, the examiner may not even mark it as a minor. If there are pedestrians, and one has to stop to let you go; that will likely be a minor. If a woman with a puschair has to get out of the way to avoid being crushed; fail." The action was exactly the same in all three, but the consequences different. I no one had been coming when yo passed the bin lorry, it would have been fine.
    The examiner might have thought that one of the crew from the rubbish truck might have appeared from the front, just as you were passing it?.................... ..................... .....A but like not overtaking a parked ice cream van, or even a bus, in case a pedestrian pops out from a blind spot?.....................................I wouldn't worry about it, I was failed because I stopped to let a young Mum, with two toddlers and a buggy full of shopping, finish crossing the road, as she was half way across when I came on the scene............................ .......................We were only a few yards from the turn off to the testing centre as well?..................... ..............I had to take my next test at a different centre, as I was banned from that one??????🙄Good luck.
    Thank you for the helpful comments guys, I really needed that advice, I know many people don't pass first time, but I thought I would, plus I got excited about passing and getting my first car etc. On my journey home with the instructor driving, I was speechless, I kept thinking if only I hadn't done that, but tbh when I think about it, at the time I didn't see it as a big deal, I just made someone slow down a bit, but obviously in a driving test they see it differently.
    Perhaps the examiner thought that your Hazard perception was weak, thing is with bin lorises is that the Loaders tend to be crossing with wheelie bins, but they usually wear high visibility protective gear
    I kept thinking if only I hadn't done that.

That's what most people think when they have a crash.

Statistics indicate that the more tests learner drivers fail, the fewer crashes they have in there first five years with a full licence.
    Perhaps the examiner thought that your Hazard perception was weak, thing is with bin lorises is that the Loaders tend to be crossing with wheelie bins, but they usually wear high visibility protective gear

it wasn't the workers that my examiner failed me for, as he even told me that it was because of the other car, but I see what you mean.
    That's what most people think when they have a crash.

Statistics indicate that the more tests learner drivers fail, the fewer crashes they have in there first five years with a full licence.

that's fair enough, tbh i have now learnt to properly look infront of a rubbish lorry to see whats coming, and to take my time, its just a shame i had to learn that by failing my test, but nevermind i just hope i don't get another on my second test.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on with your second test.
    Good luck!

I hope it went well today.

I failed my first 2 tests - the second one I knew straight away (I got spooked by an emergency vehicle coming towards me!) but the first one was because I was on a dual carriageway and didn't move over to the left lane fast enough. I really thought I'd passed so was absolutely gutted, not least because of how expensive it is!
    Don't let it get you down - and well done for getting straight back on the horse!
    Let us know how you got on!
    If you think that's expensive; wait 'till you discover what it costs to buy and run a car. £62 would barely fill my tank.
    Good luck for the second test. It was only a small mistake so don't worry, you'll get it!
    Failed Driving test

Failing a driving test is not like failing a school or college exam. You can study hard and you will pass your school exam. However, the practical test is luck. I personally passed on my 4th attempt. I waited almost 3 months between my 1st test and the 2nd. Then i discovered DTC driving test services. They guarantee to book your test within 2 weeks or they give it for free. Getting an earlier driving test means you don't forget what has been learnt. The address is https://dtcuk.co/
    I agree there is some reliance on luck (and I passed first time)
    I agree there is some reliance on luck (and I passed first time)

In what way is luck involved?

I can see luck and time of day etc may make it easier to do the test if there is less traffic so less to think about but if you are up to standard then you don't need luck.
    In what way is luck involved?

I can see luck and time of day etc may make it easier to do the test if there is less traffic so less to think about but if you are up to standard then you don't need luck.

Mostly I am thinking about how the examiner is only human. Especially with the threshold between not waiting in a situation, and being over cautious - the opinions of examiners will differ and overlap so there will be situations where in theory exactly the same action could be too cautious in one examiner’s eyes, and too aggressive in another’s

I agree with what you say though re ability. There is the theory that the more skill you have, the less you rely on luck, but can never entirely remove the need for either!