Clutch or gas first to move off?

So ive had 4 lessons so far. I am learning in a manual petrol new shaped corsa.

The thing that's confusing me alot is how to move off. I have asked my instructor about this a few times but it's still unclear.

Basically she said the car will not move forward without the clutch at biting point, i.e. it's not the gas that moves the car but the clutch. So to move off, she is telling me to find the bite, release handbrake and THEN apply gas and release clutch in a seasaw movement. However when I speak to other people and read stuff online everyone else says that with a petrol car you should always set gas FIRST and then find the bite as its harder to stall the car. I told her this and she said all you are doing when you set the gas before the bite is just wasting petrol. So who is right and who is wrong?
  • 3 Replies

Welcome to the site, that part if finding the "bite point" then moving off, is the hardest part to learn, is a balancing act done with your feet.....................Once you have cracked that, the rest is a lot easier, so try and practise that until you get the "feel"........................It may seem impossible to learn, but believe me you will get it, good luck.
    I always use a little bit of gas first, and then move my feet directly to the biting point, and slowly release my foot from the clutch, and give a little more gas. This way you won't risk the car stalling in roundabouts, or junctions.
    Just practice the feeling of the biting point, and it'll be easy as mentioned above.
    I'm a learner as well, and that's what I do. I never stall.
    Listen to your instructor. Practice is the key and it's nowhere near as difficult as learning to walk, or getting a spoonful of food into your mouth, and you learned to do both of those things while you were still in nappies.