Slip roads in the dark

Hi,
    I actually passed my test 5 months ago. I am absolutely terrified of driving though and so the furthest I had driven until the other day was about ten minutes from my house. On Monday, I decided to try driving to uni which is about 35 minutes and involves the A3. I was so nervous but it was at lunchtime so it wasn't busy and it went ok. Anyway, I now want to try driving every day but I finish at 5 or 5.30 and so it will be rush hour. I am dreading pulling onto the dual carriageway! Especially since it's now dark and today it is also raining. How on earth will I see what is going on? I feel I will get so confused. And the fact that you have to enter at a matching speed is horrid because then you don't have a lot of time to make choices! I'm so scared about having to stop or pulling out too soon :( I also hate roundabouts but at least there it's not completely bad to stop if you're unsure.
  • 6 Replies

Why not seek out a driving instructor and take a 'pass plus' course of lessons - night time, motorway, bad weather etc. Can get your insurance cheaper too with some insurers.

Have a look here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pass_Plus
    Welcome to the site BB, the best thing you can do to gain more confidence is,............keep driving, as confidence comes with practise......................Take a friend who has a lot if experience with you, they can coach you, and keep you right as you drive, and help build your confidence..............................My mother was the same, she couldn't drive at night, or in the rain, or on a motorway/dual carriageway!...............Yet, she passed her driving test?.....................My Dad and myself took it in turns to go out with her, "which was scary at first" but after some time, her confidence did build up, all she needed was more experience, good luck.
    I agree with Motman. A few sessions with a driving instructor, now that he can take you onto the motorways, would be invaluable. Most driving schools will offer some kind of deal for this - phone them.
    First.... You are not alone in this. There are many more new drivers who feel exactly the same you do and are overcome or overwhelmed by the thought of driving in the dark, on higher speed country roads and on the motorways.

Do not be overwhelmed. As suggested get with an experienced driver, learn from them but better still take a few more hours with an instructor and get it right. Its your life on the line and your cognitive ability to cope with the stresses of being out of town and out of ones comfort zone.

It has been felt for sometime now that some driving instructors teach only sufficient to pass the Test and that's all. Some will do more and certainly have time to allow you to drive out in the faster country roads and in the dark, even in the rain is felt helpful by some instructors. Only the motorway at this time is forbidden but rules are being looked at and motorway driving may be included prior to the tests or subsequently after it so more will be getting used to the faster speeds and the greater concentration needed to be safe.

That would be a good thing and I don't think anyone would mind a driving school car on a motorway for an experienced learner under instruction. Seems a good idea to me.
    A busy motorway on a dark Friday evening is no place for a learner. On the other hand, it is no place for someone who passed their test yesterday either.
    I quite agree. It will be coming though and i hope that instructors will know the best times and the most dangerous .

cheers.