Failed test, should I accept and rebook or should I complain?

I took my test the other day and got one serious because, the route we took back to the test centre consisted of dual-carriage way 'motorways'. I was turning left on an empty roundabout on one of these 'motorways', I pulled out, and per chance I looked into the rearview mirror to see a car breaking rapidly behind me. This car had appeared out of nowhere, I'm assuming he'd come from further round the roundabout, and I know the roundabout was empty when I'd pulled out because I'd had to stop there to allow other cars to pass.

When I got back to the test centre, the examiner said I'd failed because of this incident, because that driver had to slow down for me, despite me going at 30mph+ at that point, bearing in mind I had just left the roundabout, my driving instructor always said to aim for 30mph on these national speed limit roundabouts because it's the safest speed (not too fast to lose control due to turning and not to slow for other drivers).

I'm a bit peeved that I was failed for another driver speeding, and that I'll have to fork over another £60 for the driving test and however much for lessons in between now and the test.
  • 4 Replies

I think the "advice" given by your driving Instructor was phrased badly.

It was bad advice to say "Aim for 30 mph" He should have added several caveats to that advice, in my opinion.

What grounds would you have on which to complain?
    You were NOT failed because another driver was "speeding" allegedly.

You were failed for not approaching the roundabout at a safe speed.
    Chalk it up to experience and move on. Get some practice on large roundabouts before the next test. When you are driving, all kinds of stuff happens and it's only experience that enables us to anticipate it. You would probably have passed but for the unfortunate chance of the other car so keep at it.
    I'm a little confused by your 1st paragraph - as you say you stopped to allow traffic to pass before pulling onto the roundabout, and if you only saw the 'speeding' driver when you were at 30 mph, especially as a learner, you must be way down the road already. In my (humble) opinion, even if roundabout looked to be mt, and assuming no obstruction to your right, you shud have spotted a speeding car approaching and waited for him to clear - you may have had a 'minor' for hesitation. T-junctions and RBs are the bane of most learners, as I know well enough (having recently passed..lol), and perhaps your 'planning and observation' needs a little more work.

You will get no satisfaction from Test centre trying to 'revoke' the examiners' decision..don't go down that road.

I had the 'dubious' honour of failing test 3 times, in hindsight because I simply was not ready, and I mostly blame my (then) instructor for making me think I was. I had 'serious' faults for diff'rent things on all tests, so only sensible attitude is to learn from the mistakes..especially as they cost 60quid a throw..lol

By all means,have another coupla lessons including them big RBs and dual carriageways, and address any 'minors' you had..I'm sure you'll nail it next time Lady.. g luck..