6 points within 1st year

So i got pulled in dec 2014 for no licence and no insurance and was summonsed to court. Today i received a notification from DVLA to say i was convicted and received 6 points and a £600 fine.

I was confused as i didnt know i was summonsed but was told it was sent to a previous address, Anyway my point is, As i hear 6 points = a revoke of your licence within 2 years.

The question i have is, When the offence took place i had a " provisional licence " and within 1 month of being pulled i took my test and received a full driving licence and had passed my test. I find it unusual that i have not had my licence revoked but im wondering if its because at the time i had no licence.

Basically, At the time of the offence i had a provisional, I then went on to gain a full licence, So could it be said that my licence wont be revoked as i now have a full licence and at the time had a provisional?

I CAN appeal this as i didnt get the summons, but i dont want to if it means i can keep my licence.

Any help appreciated.
  • 8 Replies

First if all, check out the rule about how many points is needed before they revoke your license, I know there is a new law concerning newly qualified drivers, but I'm not totally sure about the details?I don't think the DVLA would make any mistakes when it comes to what license you had at the time, but I'm sure they will contact you, but make sure they have your new address, especially on your license as it's against the law to have incorrect details on your license, (as I found out myself after moving house, and was asked to show my license at a police check point?)
    The 1st i heard of the conviction was actually from the DVLA, I quiried it with them today and thats when i was informed of what had happened. Because i had moved but the DVLA had my details correct just the court/police didnt.

They sent me a letter saying they had recorded the points, but i dont need to send in my licence or do anything more. When i called i asked if there was any restrictions on my licence and they said there wasnt and when i checked online it still says i have a full licence which makes me wonder and be confused. I could phone the DVLA and ask but if i do that i could risk then it being revoked which is why im asking here as it would make sense with me only being a provisional holder at the time of the offence.
    Your licence will be revoked if you reach six points within two years of passing your test. However, points count from the date of the offence, not the date of conviction. If your six were incurred before the test, then you won't have it revoked.

However, you will have to drive very carefully until your two years are up as any more points will trigger revocation.
    Your licence will be revoked if you reach six points within two years of passing your test. However, points count from the date of the offence, not the date of conviction. If your six were incurred before the test, then you won't have it revoked.

However, you will have to drive very carefully until your two years are up as any more points will trigger revocation.

So i passed my test 28 Jan 2015, The offence was commited beforehand on 09 Dec 2014, Even though the conviction has only just been done in court 14 Aug 2015 it means i do receive 6 points but they would not result in a revoke of my licence is that correct?

Meaning i have to be very careful, but i get to keep my licence?
    This should also act as a warning to others. When you move, and even if you tell everyone your new address, you must make some arrangement about mail that gets sent to your old home. If you can call in every couple of weeks, that would do it, but it would be better to use the Post Office forwarding system.
    it cant act as a warning but i did have this done, it maybe came by WHISTL delivery which royal mail is working with.

I think im good !!

Thanks for your help !!
    Just make sure you inform your insurance company of the conviction becausw if they find out via other means it could bugger you up for getting insurance in the future