Problems Obtaining Provisional License

hey i wonder if anyone can help me. i applied online to get my provisional license application through the post, they sent me a letter saying i need to provide ID.

Now, this is the list of ID which is acceptable;

a current and valid passport
    a biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
    a UK certificate of naturalisation
    an EU/EEA national identity card
    a travel document

i dont have ANY of the above. i did a price on the uk certificate of naturalisation and they want £85!!

Could anyone provide details on the eu national identity card on how i get one and how much it is as i did a google search and there were loads of links all for different ID cards.

Thanks, Dan
  • 7 Replies

Identity cards are no longer issued. It looks as if you have to go through the same hurdles that a first applicant for a passport does - that is getting your application signed by someone on a list of approved professions who has known you for at least two years.

This page describes that process: https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

There is a Telephone number for enquiries and that may be the best thing for you to do: 0300 790 6801 (calls may cost 9p a minute from a landline - more from mobiles)
    Dan. Did you use the OFFICIAL DVLA site? There are several Not official sites offering an On line application service, but they may charge you a FEE.

Go to the Post Office and collect a new application form, see what the guidance notes say. You may be able to get an application form in your language of choice.

Dan, Have you got a National Insurance Number?
    Hi Dan

By "EU/EEA national identity card" they mean an identity card issued to a resident by an EU/EAA country.

We don't have identity cards in the UK, so that's a non-starter for you.
    hey i wonder if anyone can help me. i applied online to get my provisional license application through the post, they sent me a letter saying i need to provide ID.

Now, this is the list of ID which is acceptable;

a current and valid passport
    a biometric residence permit (formerly known as the identity card for foreign nationals)
    a UK certificate of naturalisation
    an EU/EEA national identity card
    a travel document

i dont have ANY of the above. i did a price on the uk certificate of naturalisation and they want £85!!

Could anyone provide details on the eu national identity card on how i get one and how much it is as i did a google search and there were loads of links all for different ID cards.

Thanks, Dan

Dan, If you read the letter again, then I think you will find there are additional documents they may find acceptable such as Birth certificates. National Insurance number, Forces Identity Card etc etc.
    thanks for the replies. i did use the dvla site but there was still a fee of 34 or 36 pound.

i phoned them up and they confirmed they was happy with birth certificate and some form of ID showing my national insurance number, ie P45/P60 etc.

Got those sorted now, so ill take a photo of my ugly mug in the week.

thanks all!
    Hi Dan

I'm glad it got sorted out. Thanks for coming back with an update - many people don't, which is very frustrating for everyone.
    I'm in the process of renewing my passport,....... which I thought would be easy, ..........compared to applying for your first one, ........but it's not quite as simple as I thought.......I applied on line and had to down load and print out the form, which made things a bit easier.................I've got everything ready to post on Monday.?.....................Ive recently got back in touch with my sister, after twenty years of silence!.......and she has in invited me over to Holland to see her,.........but my passport expired over ten yeas ago?