Changing Gears - Car Judders

I have been driving for a number of years now however I have never driven regularly and therefore I have never been a confident driver. I have recently bought a new car and have been driving every day to my work. The problem is that when I change gear down from 4th to 3rd or 3rd to 2nd the gear change is sometimes not very smooth and the car judders. I try and apply brakes to slow the car down before I change down a gear but sometimes the gear change is still abrupt. Can anyone help me understand what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
  • 1 Reply

Quote...........". I try and apply brakes to slow the car down before I change down a gear but sometimes the gear change is still abrupt. Can anyone help me understand what I'm doing wrong?"Welcome to the site, you should use your breaks and decelerate, and not the gears to slow down.Also, you could try to double de clutch, when changing down, that might help.I've, noticed that on my car, that if I allow the revs to drop down to around 2000, before I change down to third gear, it's a far smoother gear change, good luck.