New Learner need advice

Iv had 18hours so far iv passed my theory test and my instructor says im near enough at test standard apart from roundabouts. I feel confident in all my driving apart from them because i was approaching a roundabout at 20mph in second a lorry entered the roundabout from my right and signalled left straight away so i thought he was goin for the first exit to my right so i carried on goin joinin the roundabout but the lorry went past the first exit and nearly smashed into me my instructor said the lorry was in the wrong but i would of failed if that was my test so is 15-20mph the right speed to approach? and is that not unfair that i would fail because of someone elses actions?.
  • 5 Replies

You have got to learn to anticipate what "the other silly fool" is going to do wrong.

I NEVER rely on the indicators of other drivers/cars at roundabouts. Never Ever.
    There is no "right" speed, it depends entirely on the circumstances.

You wouldn't have failed because of someone else's actions, you'd have failed because you proceeded when it was unsafe to do so. Never trust another driver's signal, wait until their speed or the direction of their wheels confirms it. See the Highway Code, rule 104.

Other road users do stupid and illegal things all the time. You have to deal with it, and that includes on your test.
    Beelzebub is quite right, it is not possible to dictate a 'correct' speed. You are just as likely to get a black mark for going too slow as for going too fast.

A roundabout (unless there is a filter lane) is the same as a T junction. In my experience there are two main things to be wary of on the approach:

One - the guy in front of you. You are looking right hoping for a gap that you can follow him into. Yo see one and start to move forward but he is nervous or not paying attention and you run into the back of him.

Two - The situation you describe. As you know, you are supposed to indicate after you pass the exit before the one you want. Most people do, but there are some who either indicate too soon or not at all. As Beelzebub says, you have to look at the approaching traffic and wait until you are sure that they are going to turn. This applies just as much at T junctions as it does on roundabouts.
    I've noticed recently, that the approaches to roundabouts and bad junctions in our area, are not being trimmed down, like they used to be.This makes it a lot more difficult to see what's coming from the right, and means the first sight you get, is when you arrive right on it?Also, a lot of the navigation signs are covered with tree growth, which confuses a lot of non local traffic, I've seen a few near misses, when some cars have made sudden changes in direction at the last minute, or slowing down suddenly when they come to a navigation sign that they can see?You would think in this modern health & safety stuff, they would trim these hazards. Winking Smiley.
    About eight years ago now, in our county, they built earth banks on the grass verge on the approach to roundabouts. I think they deliberately wanted to obstruct the view to FORCE drivers to slow down before the roundabout.

Going back 50 years on the A59 between Preston and Ormskirk, they had the first Rumble strips that I can remember, They got progressively closer together as you got nearer to the roundabout. They made you slow down.