New driver ,advice needed

Hi all

I passed my test 6 months ago and just got my car. problem I have is I keep stalling it this happens mostly at traffic lights it doesn't happen all the time just some times, I learnt in a diesel and never had to set the revs before finding the bite as the car just moved with the bite alone my fiat punto 1.2 also does this but I don't know if i'm stalling cos i'm not setting the revs or cos i'm panicking and lifting the clutch up too fast.

forgive me if this seems a stupid question but this is really stressing me out and finding the stalling very embarrassing its bad enough that I'm already a very nervous driver
  • 3 Replies

Hi all

I passed my test 6 months ago and just got my car. problem I have is I keep stalling it this happens mostly at traffic lights it doesn't happen all the time just some times, I learnt in a diesel and never had to set the revs before finding the bite as the car just moved with the bite alone my fiat punto 1.2 also does this but I don't know if i'm stalling cos i'm not setting the revs or cos i'm panicking and lifting the clutch up too fast.

forgive me if this seems a stupid question but this is really stressing me out and finding the stalling very embarrassing its bad enough that I'm already a very nervous driver

My advice is go to a quiet stretch of road or a car park and practice starts from stop. just practice lifting your foot very slowly off the clutch.

One other possibility: Is it worth getting the idle speed of the engine increased ever so slightly?
    I think that this is a fairly common problem and practice will cure it. Diesels produce a great deal more torque at low revs and are quite capable of setting off with no increase in revs. Petrol engines need a little more encouragement to get them going. If you are concerned, you should ask your driving instructor to give you a lesson in your own car. I think it would be well worth the cost.
    I hope he passed his test by now... This post is over six months old.