First 2 Hour Lesson

Hello Users,

I had my first lesson last week, My instructor said i did really well but im finding it hard to drive, check mirrors, indicate and look at the road in sequence, is this normal? or am i thick? also he took me on a council estate with sharp turns i dont know how far to steer the wheel on turns i just kept spinning it to full lock to get round the corners should i have been on a car park and im being rushed or is this normal. When i have watched people steer corners when walking i notice they steer the wheel half way.

Thanks

DJ
  • 21 Replies

Believe your instructor. Learning to drive can be very challenging and what you have described is, to the best of my knowledge, quite normal. You need time.
    Welcome to the site DJ, it's a lot to take in at first, but if you have already got "road driving"experience, like riding a scooter or motor bike, you will already have gained a lot of road sense.Where as, if this is your first driving experience, you will have to learn all that, as well as how to drive,if you get what I mean, good luck.
    Thanks guys my next lesson is wednesday i am going to tell my instructor that my steering is my main concern as i have practically nailed clutch braking and starting etc i need to sort my steering out then i can move on to concentrating on indicators and mirrors take it 1 thing at a time then hopefully be able to do them when needed i will keep you posted and let you know how i get one...
    If you have a good instructor he will listen to you and respond to your needs. Hope all goes well on Wednesday. People on this site will offer the support and help they can.
    Lesson 2 steering is great now not perfect but good enough as i was driving round main roads for a hour and a half and also drove home, loved it cant wait for next weeks lesson.
    Well done, it's just like what was mentioned before, where the more practise you have, the better you get at it, good luck.
    The human brain is an amazing thing. When you first try to do something really complicated like drive a car, it all seems too much, but after a while a lot of it becomes automatic. You decide to change gear, and your brain just does all the things like operating the pedals and moving the lever, without any concious thought. The same goes for steering around obstacles.

In fact, one of the most complicated things we do, without even thinking about it, is walking, and you probably learned to do that pretty young. By comparison, driving a car is a piece of cake.
    UPDATE: I am now very confident and love driving, i just need to do bay/parallel parking and reversing round a corner and a bit more driving, i have done everything else, i also passed my thoery test on Tuesday.
    Well done - just try to relax, and do exactly what your instructor tells you. Many people never get the hang of the dreaded parallel park. I was in Stow on The Wold yesterday, and we were entertained by a middle aged man trying unsuccessfully to park on a kerb between two cars.
    I always use my door mirror lined up with reference point on the front car, that I intend to park behind, that seems to work for me, good luck.
    Hi Everyone,

Another update, i am progressing really well, i have covered everything and next week i am doing mock tests/ independant driving, just wanted to ask does this mean i am close to being test ready as my instructor hasnt mentioned booking my test i am currently on 24 hours of lessons next week will make it 26, i have also got my own car now and it is insured and ready to go i just dont have anyone to pratice with as my dad wont take me out for some weird reason.

Thanks for the replys

DJ
    Hi Everyone,

My instructor says i can book my test on Monday, He will call me after our lesson to discuss date as i am his last pupil on that day, I won't disclose any other information as im keeping any dates secret.

Feel amazing going from i can't steer to booking a test. Just shows you should never doubt yourself when learning something new it takes time.

More updates soon...

Thanks

DJ
    Just try to relax and do what the instructor tells you. I am sure you will be fine.

Keep us posted:)
    Hello Users,

I had my first lesson last week, My instructor said i did really well but im finding it hard to drive, check mirrors, indicate and look at the road in sequence, is this normal? or am i thick? also he took me on a council estate with sharp turns i dont know how far to steer the wheel on turns i just kept spinning it to full lock to get round the corners should i have been on a car park and im being rushed or is this normal. When i have watched people steer corners when walking i notice they steer the wheel half way.

Thanks

DJ

Patience is a virtue!! After my first lesson I thought I was never going to remember the sequence of the gear change.

I called BSM and mentioned my worries and they said I could have a go in an automatic which I did. I liked it but I wanted to feel like I was in control. I went back to the manual and before I knew it I had remembered the sequence of starting a car and running it and I am coming up to 5 happy years.

It all sinks in eventually. You just have to allow it to sink in by giving it a chance to sink in. You can help that by not fretting so much! It's OK. Really. You can't do anything bad. If your instructor is a good one he is in total control the entire time and knows what he is doing and talking about. Relax and let nature take it's course. Try not to over-think things and be calm and level headed and before you know it you will be walking away with a pass certificate and looking at that top-of-the-range Lamborghini!
    Aye! In a few months you will find driving just as easy as walking, it will just come natural to you. The more time you spend driving, your confidence will keep improving, good luck.
    Hi Guys just a quick update, My test is next week on friday at 9:37am, i will report back with my result, I also learn in my own little saxo when i get chance so hopefully that may increase my chances.
    can't drive yet elephant ****** on my chips and added an extra £100 to my £150 a month policy so i had to cancel it because they wanted £100 there and then and i didnt have it so now i am getting quoted ridiculous £3500 a year on comparison sites :S
    It may be worth your while to go to a broker. Sometimes they can find a cheaper deal, but I wouldn't hold my breath.