Still trying

Hi
    Havent posted in a while but I am still learning to drive now aged 57. I have booked my theory for end of feb and instructor said should be test not long after that. My problem is i now have my own car and i am going to and from school with my son my husband who obv sits alongside me keeps saying at junctions roundabouts etc go on go go go and really it puts me off he also tells me not to brake all the while but it is an automatic and i also have my son to think about so am cautious. I do go on dc etc to get there and not really scared but just makes me think i am useless when my other half says let the others wait you go havent really held many people up even with morning rush
    Am I right to be cautious
  • 5 Replies

You need to sit down quietly and explain to your husband that he is not driving, and he is not there as an Instructor but as a failsafe. You are driving the car, and will use your judgment as to when you consider it safe to 'go', as you are the one will carry the can if it all goes wrong. Alternatively, you could let him drive and you sit in the passenger seat making comments about 'that is not how my Instuctor tells me to do that'. See how he likes criticism.
    :DAye! they say that it's not a good idea to have a relative or spouse with you, when you are learning to drive, and your post proves that point.

Rolebama has got it spot on in his reply, I hope it works out for you in the end.
    ;)
    Beginning to believe thats correct now I am driving my own car with hubby supervising. The day i got the car i collected my son from school foing on a dual carriageway (60-70) mph and also been taking him every morning and hVe not been doing badly kept up with traffic etc. but my husband has a nasty habit of tutting when i brake before taking a corner and he thinks i brake too much at bends etc and mKes a big thing of tutting and wobbling about a bit. It makes feel like I am really doing wrong. The problem is he hS driven for forty years and he knows the feel of pedals etc and i have only been driving this car for two weeks and its brand new so sharp brakes and true i do not have confidence to take corner or bend without braking after all i am learning esp as its a car without dual controls. How do i roind a corner or bend without braking ?
    Are there other cars in front of you or doing similar speed to yourself, if so, do they brake for the bend? It could be that you do need to slow for the bend or it could be that you have not yet developed the confidence to corner that bit quicker. There is no correct answer as we all drive to our perceived abilities and/or confidence.
    It might now be the time to tell him either to offer constructive criticism with relative explanations, or to just shut up.
    Are there other cars in front of you or doing similar speed to yourself, if so, do they brake for the bend? It could be that you do need to slow for the bend or it could be that you have not yet developed the confidence to corner that bit quicker. There is no correct answer as we all drive to our perceived abilities and/or confidence.
    It might now be the time to tell him either to offer constructive criticism with relative explanations, or to just shut up.

Some other cars do brake but on some corners i dont it depends how quickly I feel I am taking it i agree i am not yet confident in myself but at the moment i dont think i am doing it too wrongly

Tell him to shut up? I'd never hear the end of it lol