New Driver: Nerves shattered!

Hi there,

Just looking for a bit of advice because I'm currently feeling like I never want to drive again! After over a year of lessons, I passed my test first time two weeks ago (3 minors). This seemed like a miracle because I was convinced I would fail. Since then, I've been out a few times by myself and a few times with my partner for extra practice. Our car was serviced this week and the garage put on a new handbrake.

Today, I made my first journey alone since then (15 minute trip along some main roads to the supermarket). However, twice when I was stopped at lights, the handbrake totally stuck and it took over 5 minutes to release it both times. This was a complete nightmare because there was a queue of traffic behind me - blasting their horns! No matter what I tried I couldn't release it for ages. The second occasion was even worse because I was stopped on an uphill slope at a really busy junction.

My partner says I'd obviously yanked the handbrake too high and didn't have the strength to release it. However, I'm now totally paranoid about doing this again. I don't know if it's just the difference between the handbrakes in the car I learnt in, my old one and this new handbrake! Should I not be pulling the handbrake so high? Even on a slope? My nerves are totally shattered and I don't want to risk ending up in that situation again. However, I'm 8 months pregnant and driving is going to be a necessity for me!

Any guidance appreciated :D
  • 2 Replies

Nervous drivers do seem to have a tendency to pull the handbrake harder than they need to. However I am surprised it was that hard to release. Is it possible that it needs some adjustment? Maybe take it back to the garage and tell them.

What you need to do is to go somewhere quiet (no one to blast a horn) and experiment. Try counting clicks... If you can find some sloping ground then that would be better.

Oh! Congratulations on your pass...:) Took me two goes.
    Welcome to the site Sam70, you are lucky it wasn't one one of them new electric hand brakes, :D

Seriously though, when I used to drive ambulances it was quite normal to jump into one, only to find the driver on the last shift had pulled the hand brake on with both hands???

I found it easier to do if if I pulled it up, while holding the button on top of it in, at the same time, that way, you can feel it release gently, without having to stretch the cable any further, good luck.;)