56 and learning

Reading some posters who say they are 30 and learning and feel old. Just thought I'd let you know i have just taken my first lesson in an automatic as I have arthritis, and I am 56.

I have had a few lessons over the years but not in the past 10 years and only a handful anyway

My first lesson went ok but I never looked in door mirror enough when turning right but did when pulling out. In truth I was really nervous so concentrating on not hitting anything - lol

I have hopes that I will do a full course of lessons and pass within a year - fingers crossed - it is my last chance
  • 17 Replies

Good luck to you denise56. There is no reason why you should not be able to learn and pass your Test. I don't think age comes into it, I think it more a willingness to learn and the application of a little commonsense, and I think you are of a generation where commonsense came into play before political correctness took it away.
    I am sure you will soon get the hang of it. At least with an auto, you don't have to worry about changing gear.

Just remember that the instructor is not being critical for its own sake - they are just making sure that you do everything the right way. This may not be the same as when you last had a lesson.

Good luck:)
    Welcome to the site denise56, if you learn something new on every lesson, you will be aright. Then even after you have passed your test, you will still be learning something new every day, just like everyone else, good luck. ;)
    Other drivers

:mad:

Had my second lesson today and am slightly put off learning again now through another road user shouting abuse at me when i was slow at pulling out from a junction at a roundabout

the instructor told me to creep out as my view was partially blocked, which i did, then I got the horn honking, then I moved off and made my way around the roundabout only to be told to f***** get off the road

My instructor told me not to take it to heart and I know he's right but it took a lot of courage for me to get back in a car after only a few lessons nearly 10 years ago and I have Rheumatoid arthritis - I know other drivers do not know this but I thought I was doing ok with my second lesson, roundabouts, traffic lights and a 3 point turn

Ah well, we have to take it on the chin but no need at all to shout abuse at someone with an L plate on
    Sorry to hear of your experience. It says nothing about you ( well done for keeping going ) but the other driver shouldn't be on the road. Sadly it is typical of much of the inconsiderate driving seen on our roads today. You were proceeding with correct caution and the other driver demonstrated an appalling lack of courtesy. We should try to help each other on the road to have safe journeys. Although I have passed my advanced motorists test I know that I can make mistakes : we all can. In your case you hadn't made a mistake. My feeling is that you are going to make a safe and competent driver with a good attitude. Best wishes. Final thought - no need to shout abuse at anyone !
    Denise56, do not let ignorant drivers like that put you off in any way, I am afraid that some drivers forget that at one time they were learners as well.

Only difference is, that there were not so many ignorant drivers like that on the roads back then?

Like you said, just take it on the chin, ignore it, and carry on with your lessons. I have been driving for years, many of them professionally, and meet drivers like that all the time, they are more to be pitted than scorned, good luck.
    :D
    Thanks for supportive replies
    Actually, what I saw of the idiot, he was not very old, maybe late twenties/early thirties so i think he was being a prat and making a point.
    it gives me more determination to pass :D
    Have had about 5 lessons now and am now remembering to use mirrors and am just about cracking the 3 point turn - reversing around corner next week :)
    The only thing is my nerves is making me make stupid errors like forgetting to cancel indicators, and I still dont like the instructor having his foot on the brake, it makes you feel out of control - I know it is necessary. I am coming off junctions onto roundabouts quicker now. I seem to be able to learn one thing at a time and seem to be more nervous than when I used to go out with my husband (7-8 years ago tho)
    I am pretty confident that if I crack my nerves and do not clench the wheel so my knuckles turn white, then I can pass by Christmas
    Hi,

All the best with it. You're never too old!
    hi Denise,
    I know you were hoping to be passed by Christmas- just wondered how you were getting on?
    Wishing you all the best for your test and hope that you take all the prats on the road in your stride now as you'll come across plenty of these once you've passed too! - keep calm and don't let them upset you or your driving.
    hi Denise,
    I know you were hoping to be passed by Christmas- just wondered how you were getting on?
    Wishing you all the best for your test and hope that you take all the prats on the road in your stride now as you'll come across plenty of these once you've passed too! - keep calm and don't let them upset you or your driving.

No not yet unfortuantely, had to miss a few lessons due to hospital apointments - am doing 2 lessons per week after Christmas so hope it'll not take me much longer - more confidence now :D
    Good luck with your driving! :)
    good luck with the driving i think that all should have to re take there test when they reach there older years as so much changes, just remember to check your blind spots when changing lanes alot of older people forget no dis respect
    No not yet unfortuantely, had to miss a few lessons due to hospital apointments - am doing 2 lessons per week after Christmas so hope it'll not take me much longer - more confidence now :D

Confidence is they key. Confidence played a part in pretty much every step of my lesson. My instructor was a diamond. He was brilliant. We were like mates. But he was tentative with his method he imparted on me. Whilst I got confidence with him praising my clutch control his method wasn't I felt getting the best out of the car. I was meant to "match the gear to the speed" which involves putting the gear into 2nd when at 10mph, 3rd at 20mph and so on. I think I would have been more confident on passing had I been told to use the RPM instead of the speed.

But keep on plugging away and I am sure you will pass in no time. All the very best of luck with it and I am rooting for you.
    Forgot to tell you I passed

Sorry not been on here for a while
    I passed my test first time in November. With 3 minor faults
    I now drive every day but just getting confidence for motorways on short distances
    Well done Denise - now, practice makes perfect.

Final advice. If you find yourself, for any reason, in receipt of angry gestures from some other motorist - smile sweetly and mouth, so he can lip read - "THANK YOU". and blow him a kiss.

This will either defuse the situation or infuriate him so much that his head will explode.
    Hi Denise - I'm new to this forum ( just passed test at 67) but so glad I saw this thread. You did better'n me, I failed 3 times (over 18 months) and just squeezed in the pass before Theory was due to run out. Luckily I'm reasonably fit, but (3rd) wifie is severely arthritic (amongst other things). Our 'new freedom' has cheered her up a lot, along with the fold-up scooter in the boot. Big gratz to you...