Driving lesson frequency question

A slight variation on the 'how many lessons' question...

I'm about to start learning and I'm wondering what kind of frequency/length of lessons to go for. As it stands my total driving experience is about 25 metres on a private driveway in a left-hand drive car. Pretty much zero.

Ideally I'd like to learn as quickly as possible, but with work commitments and no idea how I'm going to take to driving (I'm not nervous - I've just never really tried) I don't think a 'crash course' is for me.

On the flipside of the coin I do best at things I'm immersed in and do a lot - the worst thing I can do when learning to do something is stop doing it for a while. What I'm really looking for is a tradeoff I think. I do, however, have a car I'm insured to drive and a willing passenger so practising shouldn't be out of the question.

How often are/did others take lessons and how did it work out for you?
    Also, any general advice people would like to throw my way would be gratefully accepted :)
  • 14 Replies

I would go for two a week. One Monday, one Thursday. This should give to time to 'digest' what you learn each lesson before the next. However, I would expect to change this after a couple of weeks to whatever sits comfortably with you.
    Lessons

Also, anyone who supervises you MUST be over 21, and have held a full UK licence for more than 3 years.

There are also several offences a supervising driver can commit, and which are not immediately obvious, e.g. they too must NOT be over the prescibed blood/alcohol level (even though they are not driving), they must NOT use a hand-held mobile phone unless the car is stopped and the engine switched off. Supermarket (etc) car parks are NOT private property where Road Traffic Acts do not apply. This is just a brief summary, because I would hate your supervisor to accidentally commit an offence.

I would personally also make sure that they properly understand the Highway Code, and will not allow you to adopt bad habits, e.g. crossing your hands on the steering wheel, or pretending that you are steering with one hand at the top of the wheel (no matter how "cool" you think it looks in the movies) because these things will not help you to pass your test!

Good luck! ;)
    Welcome to the site antireality, the main thing is not to try and take too much in too quickly.

Just take it one step at a time, and enjoy it. There is no point in stressing your self out by putting limits on your progress, so just relax and enjoy the learning process, good luck;)
    I personally think you should only have professional driving instructors, This way you are taught correctly and not allowed to get into bad habits.

Like has been said, It is best not to over do it. Driving can be tiring and lessons of 1 hour are good. Don't forget to obtain a fresh copy of the highway code and learn it if you have not already taken your theory test.
    I agree with MrDanno, use a professional instructor. They will know how to teach you everything properly. A family member may not know everything a learner needs to learn.

With lessons you never really know how many you need. I read a really good thing once, when you feel you are making less mistakes, then it will soon be time to take the test. When you start I'd go for two lessons a week (2 hours) so you can get to grips with the basics first, then once you are comfortable you may only need one lesson a week.
    Thanks.

I just sat and passed my theory test (50/50 theory, 61/75 hazard perception), so that's the first part taken care of.

I'm thinking that maybe taking 2 lessons a week, one hour each, might be the way to go for me so I don't get overloaded but I still make good progress and it keeps everything fresh in my mind.

I'm not intending to get behind the wheel of my own car until a few lessons down the line though - This was a condition of my girlfriend being the supervising driver and to be fair she's got a point. Although it's legal for me to get behind the wheel with no experience and a passenger holding a Spanish licence I don't think it's anywhere near being a good idea...

And being a 29 year old computing geek I don't think anyone has to worry about me doing anything stupid in order to look 'cool' ;)
    That sounds like a sensible idea, as long as the person who is going to be the qualified driver, has held a full license for 3 years.

Good luck with your future driving;)
    Yes, you need a professional driving instructor.

A good driving instructor should provide you all aspects of driving, when to appear for your driving test, how to prepare for theory test, finding the best way to practice and improve your driving skills, understanding The Highway Code, road signs and marking, driving tips and skills and guide to drive safely as well as improving your hazard perception skills.:)
    I think ‘should’ is the relevant word here – talking to learner drivers around my area the focus appears to be on how to pass the test, driving has nothing to do with it.
    It took a few weeks to get the cash together, but I've made a start now - trying to do a couple of 2 hour sessions a week.

I had my second lesson today and I'm actually shocked - I used to cycle to uni every day a couple of years ago and pass by a road commonly used by instructors to give first lessons so I was used to seeing people kangaroo down the road in a series of false starts and stalls so I assumed that's what would be happening to me for a few lessons when I started learning.

So when the car pulled peacefully and steadily away from the kerb and along a nice, clear road at 20mph that was a bit of a shock to be honest :). Although I've still got a *lot* to learn there's a few 4s in the logbook to be starting with and I'm actually enjoying it and it's relaxing (in a wierd way - given the amount of things you need to remember and be aware of... )

so cheers for the advice - everything seems to be working out nicely.
    Glad to read that you are enjoying it all antireality, that makes all the difference, and it means you will learn quicker, good luck;)
    Driving lesson

Hello

The benefits of taking a practice test before the DMV's actual written exam include:

Saving money.

In most states, if you fail your first written knowledge test, you'll have to pay a fee in order to retake the examination.

Taking your driving test sooner.

In most states, you must wait for some time before retaking a written knowledge test—meaning you have to wait even
    longer to take the behind-the-wheel exam for your driver's license.

Getting comfortable with the format.

The phrasing of the multiple-choice questions on your exam can take a while to get used to; a practice test can get you
    acclimated to the format of the DMV's written test.

Helping you to study.

Taking a practice driver's license test can help you determine which sections of your state's driver's license manual will require some additional study time.

www.drivinglessonslichfield.co.uk
    Hello

The benefits of taking a practice test before the DMV's actual written exam include:

Saving money.

In most states, if you fail your first written knowledge test, you'll have to pay a fee in order to retake the examination.

Taking your driving test sooner.

In most states, you must wait for some time before retaking a written knowledge test—meaning you have to wait even
    longer to take the behind-the-wheel exam for your driver's license.

Getting comfortable with the format.

The phrasing of the multiple-choice questions on your exam can take a while to get used to; a practice test can get you
    acclimated to the format of the DMV's written test.

Helping you to study.

Taking a practice driver's license test can help you determine which sections of your state's driver's license manual will require some additional study time.

Probably sound advice in the US or Australia. Does the OP realise this is a UK-based forum?
    Probably sound advice in the US or Australia. Does the OP realise this is a UK-based forum?

Also, they wrote the post 8 years ago, so hopefully (for all our sakes) they have passed their test by now.