Drink, drugs and driving

The RAC’s 21st report on motoring looks at the state of the nations mindset and habits when it comes to drink, drugs and driving. The latest figures show that drink driving is still very prevalent in the UK and we want to hear from you if you’ve been involved in an accident relating to drunk drivers or drivers who were under the influence of drugs.

Have you had a run-in or damage caused to your car from the above? Do you know someone that drinks and/or does drugs and drives – and have you tried to stop them?

Share your stories right here on the Forum and if your tale is picked to be a media case study you could also win £50 in high street vouchers.

Please note, a case study needs to be happy to participate in radio interviews and print media interviews. They will receive £50 in high street vouchers as a thank you for their time if they are featured in the media.
  • 7 Replies

I have had two cars destroyed by drunk drivers over the years. One at 11 at night, and the other at about 2 in the afternoon. In the first instance, he turned out to be uninsured as well, and was caught and prosecuted by the Police. He came down a side road and ran straight into the side of my car as I was driving past. In the second incident, a car pulled out of a queue of oncoming cars to overtake, and drove at me. I pulled over to the kerb and stopped, and he scraped down the side of my car at speed. He stopped long enough to give me a business card, and drove off at the mention of the Police. They did not investigate, and he denied all to my insurer, and would not let them look at his car as 'there was no need', as he was not involved in any collision, and it must have been someone else who gave me his business card.
    I knew people who did drink & drive many years ago when they were younger. ( I am talking no more than 2 pints of beer) These same people now frown on those who do take drugs/drink while driving.

I am surprised that it is still prevalent in the UK as I thought that drinking & driving was perhaps 'tolerated' to a certain extent many years ago, was now a social taboo.
    Pudlog Over 50 years and still learning?

Drugs Drink etc. Any time proved. Apply hard productive labour.
    Those who drive a vehicle are in charge of a lethal weapon. They should have no protection. Safety is important but the first consideration should be for those outside the vehicle. So do away with drivers seat belts!
    Today, traveling at 45MPH in a 40 zone with camera's. I was over taken. Conditions, raining, road greasy, light level poor. No doubt the driver was concentrating hard and very safe! That could be a good thing? But he should be made to prove that if stopped.
    Good thinking to those with an open mind.
    Pudlog
    Has this thread been trimmed? As I was sure I posted in here a couple of days ago?
    No!

The RAC have decided to run 2 almost identical threads on the same topic. :rolleyes:

This one is by the Web Team, the other by Mike Gray. Confusing or what? :confused:
    Sorry for any confusion!

This first thread was posted before the Report on Motoring was published, to see if anybody had any stories/case studies that could be used in the publicity surrounding its launch.

The second post, from Mike, was posted after the Report was published to see what the general opinion was about the Report, in particular your attitudes towards drink, drugs and driving.

Hope that helps :)

Maxine
    Ah! cheers for that Maxine, I thought I was losing it there for a minute;) this getting old is confusing enough as it is:)