Motorbikes in traffic queues

When ever in heavy traffic, at traffic lights, stood still on a motorway etc, motorbikes always try and squeeze through say the middle of the cars & lorries, using the broken line as there lane so to speak.

Now, i wonder if anyone knows what the law is on this? and also, if the motorcyclist was doing this and a driver knocked the motorcyclist off, who is at fault?
  • 136 Replies

A while back I was on the A205 at the traffic lights when a motorcyclist squeezed between my car and the one in the outside lane, In doing so he smashed his handlebars into my mirror.
    He was wearing a Hi-Viz which had 'Instructor' written on it and the name of the learner company that he worked for. I Gave him a blast of the horn to get his attention and he just stuck 2 fingers up at me! - His obviously a great inspiration to his pupil riders!

Personally I think its dangerous and also they cause damage to peoples cars as they scrape their way thru. Although, There is no law that I know of that prevents them from doing this.
    Any damage/unjury caused by a motorcyclist weaving through the traffic, by creating an "extra" lane as described, leaves that motorcyclist liable to claims against him/her.
    A while back I was on the A205 at the traffic lights when a motorcyclist squeezed between my car and the one in the outside lane, In doing so he smashed his handlebars into my mirror.
    He was wearing a Hi-Viz which had 'Instructor' written on it and the name of the learner company that he worked for. I Gave him a blast of the horn to get his attention and he just stuck 2 fingers up at me! - His obviously a great inspiration to his pupil riders!

Crikey, he gave you the 2 finger salute for him causing the accident...what an idiot. The bit where you say he had instructor written on his jacket made me laugh. You would have thought he would have slightly more common sense. Like you say, i dread to think what he teaches his students :confused:
    I think the way that they weave through traffic thinking they have their own lane should be restricted, and definitely made illegal on roads whose lanes are less than a certain width.

Equally as dangerous is the way in which, on a completely clear single-carriageway main road, they drive almost in the middle of the road. It can be quite unnerving when you pass one going in the opposite direction and it beggars belief why they do this stunt when they've got the whole empty lane free to use.

And they wonder why they're the "victims" of so many traffic accidents.
    When ever in heavy traffic, at traffic lights, stood still on a motorway etc, motorbikes always try and squeeze through say the middle of the cars & lorries, using the broken line as there lane so to speak.

Now, i wonder if anyone knows what the law is on this? and also, if the motorcyclist was doing this and a driver knocked the motorcyclist off, who is at fault?

It is called filtering, it is perfectly legal to do so on a motorcycle.

Giving the bird after causing damage is not!. :(
    I rode motorcycles for over 30yrs, consequently, I move over to let them pass. I still see the occasional twit who moves across a lane to block motorcyclists passing them in traffic queues, even to the point of driving into the back of the stationary car in front.
    Know it All

I think the way that they weave through traffic thinking they have their own lane should be restricted, and definitely made illegal on roads whose lanes are less than a certain width.

Equally as dangerous is the way in which, on a completely clear single-carriageway main road, they drive almost in the middle of the road. It can be quite unnerving when you pass one going in the opposite direction and it beggars belief why they do this stunt when they've got the whole empty lane free to use.

And they wonder why they're the "victims" of so many traffic accidents.

Ever ridden a motorbike? It is perfectly legal to "filter" through the traffic - that is how they are trained when taking driver training. With regards to driving almost in the middle of the road - firstly they are also trained to drive defensively and also to drive positively. Secondly - What difference does it make where in the lane they drive? So long as they don't cross the dividing line onto your side - you have no reason to complain.:confused:
    I rode motorcycles for over 30yrs, consequently, I move over to let them pass. I still see the occasional twit who moves across a lane to block motorcyclists passing them in traffic queues, even to the point of driving into the back of the stationary car in front.

I do the same when its safe for them to pass, Quite often get a nod or a wave of gratitude ;)

They are not all bad, Like everything it's the few idiots that get everyone branded with the same iron.
    Giving the bird

It is called filtering, it is perfectly legal to do so on a motorcycle.

Giving the bird after causing damage is not!. :(

"Giving the bird" is a single fingered salute....isn't it? :D
    Ever ridden a motorbike? Secondly - What difference does it make where in the lane they drive? So long as they don't cross the dividing line onto your side - you have no reason to complain.:confused:

1st of all, No i have never ridden a motorbike, and would never want to. The reason being is because a number of years ago i witnessed an horiffic motorbike accident, caused by the erratic behaviour of the motorcyclist weaving in and out of the traffic, squeezing between lorries and cars, causing a danger to other road users.

To the 2nd point you raise, surly it makes a difference when, for instance, a motorway can only handle 3 lanes of traffic not 4! but i'm not disputing what lane they are/should be in, i'm asking should they be riding along the broken white line, hence them not actually being in a lane at all!
    3rd time

Its called filtering and is perfectly acceptable and legal.:rolleyes:
    1st of all, No i have never ridden a motorbike, and would never want to. The reason being is because a number of years ago i witnessed an horiffic motorbike accident, caused by the erratic behaviour of the motorcyclist weaving in and out of the traffic, squeezing between lorries and cars, causing a danger to other road users.

It's the same with pedestrians and cyclists - when there is an accident, regardless of who really is at fault, the car driver tends to get the blame and the burden is completely on him/her to prove that they were not at fault, rather than being neutral and treating both parties equally. I think because the injuries suffered by motorcyclists are usually more serious, they get sympathy even if they are solely at fault for the accident.

To the 2nd point you raise, surly it makes a difference when, for instance, a motorway can only handle 3 lanes of traffic not 4! but i'm not disputing what lane they are/should be in, i'm asking should they be riding along the broken white line, hence them not actually being in a lane at all!

I agree, it makes a difference; they should be within one lane, not straddling two.

Additionally, I add my opinion to comments already aired, that it is the minority of kamikaze motorcyclists who give the safe and competent majority a bad name, as with any category of driver or vehicle. Most motorcyclists are perfectly good and are no problem at all. However, I must admit that I have come across considerably more dangerous motorcyclists than any other type of driver/vehicle.
    4th time

:rolleyes:It's called "FILTERING", and is perfectly acceptable and legal.:rolleyes:
    I get over to the left when they want to pass because it's up to them, they have fast machines and I've no right to stop them from going where they like at whatever speed they like.

Filtering is more of a grey area. If there is room then fine, but only if you join the queue when it begins to move and don't damage my car. If it's so tight that you need to use your feet and lean the bike to get through, then maybe you should just wait for the lights to change.
    Comments on the DVLA website about filtering do warn that it should be done with care and at a low speed.
    Comments on the DVLA website about filtering do warn that it should be done with care and at a low speed.

I quite agree. But, then I know someone that was filtering up the outside of stationary traffic when the car he was along side suddenly turned right, He hit the side of the car and he was deflected into the oncoming traffic resulting in the oncoming car crushing his leg between it and the side of his motorcycle. He then spent the next two years having several operations and an Illizarov frame on his leg - not something I would recommend.
    I quite agree. But, then I know someone that was filtering up the outside of stationary traffic when the car he was along side suddenly turned right, He hit the side of the car and he was deflected into the oncoming traffic resulting in the oncoming car crushing his leg between it and the side of his motorcycle. He then spent the next two years having several operations and an Illizarov frame on his leg - not something I would recommend.

I think the filtering referred to is when a motorcyclist weaves between two lines of stationary traffic, both going in same direction.

But your comment, where the car was already in the outside lane, and so properly positioned for turning right, is very interesting. It could be argued that the motorcyclist had "created" his own extra lane, but one which no driver ahead of him could be expected to be aware of.

So, although this practice of filtering past stationary traffic may be a legal manoeuvre, there would appear to be valid reasons why it should not be allowed.

My personal opinion is that, as policing any ban would be difficult in reality, the powers-that-be are happy to leave the status quo, and let any involved parties sort out the mess.

Am I right in thinking that this is done because it is the cleanest part of the road eg. less drains, inspection covers etc.

Plus in the middle of each lane is covered in dropped engine oil etc., that stains the road surface!!

I don't ride bikes, but it just seams obvious to me!!!
    I think that is a reason. There's no problem as long as they don't go in the other lane, or if there is a particularly wide vehicle like a bus or lorry coming the other way, that there is enough room for comfort to pass.
    (my original post)
    When ever in heavy traffic, at traffic lights, stood still on a motorway etc, motorbikes always try and squeeze through say the middle of the cars & lorries, using the broken white line as there lane

Its called filtering and is perfectly acceptable and legal.:rolleyes:

I give up mate! :p

Clearly the OP has an issue with us filtering.

filtering referred to is when a motorcyclist weaves between two lines of stationary traffic, both going in same direction.

Firstly, i accept that filtering is legal, as long as it does not cause danger to other road users. Clearly i do not have an issue with you filtering through traffic, and how you came to that conclusion to suggest that i did/do is beyond me.
    I refer to snowballs quote ... the filtering referred to is when a motorcyclist weaves between two lines of stationary traffic ... this is what is classed as filtering and like i state above i have no problem with this.

I refer to my original quote ... using the broken white line as there lane ... Riding on the broken white line is clearly not filtering, and how you can even say that filtering it is legal when stood in solid traffic, there is no where for the motorcyclist to go, bar using the BROKEN WHITE LINE as another lane... so i was mearly asking, if it it legal for a motorcyclist to use this broken white line only, as another lane.
    Providing they are careful, I have no problem with motorcyclists filtering through stationary traffic. Because they can wobble a bit when travelling very slowly (as DVLA advice), they could cause damage to vehicles, in which case it would be reasonable to expect them to pay for same. For example, to replace my side mirrors is about £300 each.

My greatest concern about motorcyclists is their habit of riding on the white line on right hand bends on narrow, winding roads. This practice is obviously to maintain speed by "straightening out" the bend, and to position themselves where the road camber is at the least disadvantage to them.
    The danger in this manoeuvre is that, because they are leaning over to their right, there bodies are significantly overlapping the opposite lane, and are therfore in the path of any large oncoming vehicle from around the bend.
    There is then the risk of either hitting such vehicle, or losing control by trying to suddenly pull left; both situations with potentially fatal results.
    But your comment, where the car was already in the outside lane, and so properly positioned for turning right, is very interesting. It could be argued that the motorcyclist had "created" his own extra lane, but one which no driver ahead of him could be expected to be aware of.

Excuse me. Where does it say that the traffic was on a dual carriageway? If it was on a single carriageway the motorcyclist is not going to undertake but overtake. Overtaking cars is completely different to filtering and if you can't be bothered to check your mirrors for motorcyclists overtaking or filtering, you're lazy, incompetent and a complete t*sser.

'No driver could have been expected to be aware of the lane the motorcyclist made'. When you did your driving test, did you have to check your mirrors before making a maneuvore? I think you did. In that story that you replied to the car was completely in the wrong. The motorcyclist was overtaking a car, the car driver should check for other vehicles that could be approaching before moving.

You seem to not be able to take all the facts in because you feel that motorcyclists filtering is not right. Is it because they get to work on time and you're late? Is it because they are progressing further than you in a shorter space of time?
    So exactly what's wrong with using the broken white line to filter? I'd love to know.
    Providing they are careful, I have no problem with motorcyclists filtering through stationary traffic. Because they can wobble a bit when travelling very slowly (as DVLA advice), they could cause damage to vehicles, in which case it would be reasonable to expect them to pay for same. For example, to replace my side mirrors is about £300 each.

My greatest concern about motorcyclists is their habit of riding on the white line on right hand bends on narrow, winding roads. This practice is obviously to maintain speed by "straightening out" the bend, and to position themselves where the road camber is at the least disadvantage to them.
    The danger in this manoeuvre is that, because they are leaning over to their right, there bodies are significantly overlapping the opposite lane, and are therfore in the path of any large oncoming vehicle from around the bend.
    There is then the risk of either hitting such vehicle, or losing control by trying to suddenly pull left; both situations with potentially fatal results.

It's all to do with skill levels though, if the biker isn't skilled enough to filter without hitting other cars, then they shouldn't do it.

If you have the skills to filter, then you should do it, I filter a hell of a lot, and I've been riding for 3 years and I've never hit a single wing mirror in my life.

At the end of the day, it's people driving/riding above their ability that should be banned, not filtering :P
    Excuse me. Where does it say that the traffic was on a dual carriageway? If it was on a single carriageway the motorcyclist is not going to undertake but overtake. Overtaking cars is completely different to filtering and if you can't be bothered to check your mirrors for motorcyclists overtaking or filtering, you're lazy, incompetent and a complete t*sser.
    'No driver could have been expected to be aware of the lane the motorcyclist made'. When you did your driving test, did you have to check your mirrors before making a maneuvore? I think you did. In that story that you replied to the car was completely in the wrong. The motorcyclist was overtaking a car, the car driver should check for other vehicles that could be approaching before moving.

You seem to not be able to take all the facts in because you feel that motorcyclists filtering is not right. Is it because they get to work on time and you're late? Is it because they are progressing further than you in a shorter space of time?

I did not say it was a dual carriageway. Also, if the car was turning right, it leaves the questions (a) was he/she indicating? and (b) was it safe to overtake at a road junction?

If you read my previous post, you would see that I have no problems with motorcyclists. My one critcal comment is a concern for their safety, not my own.

As I have said in another thread, it is only possible to comment on what is imagined from the contents of the text.
    I cannot see any point in your derogatory remarks. I don't consider myself the perfect driver, and I still treat each time I get behind the wheel as another day when I may learn something new.
    Although, after about 55 years of driving, some 12,000 miles of them all over France, I have not hit anyone yet. I must be doing something right!!!
    If he was filtering past a right hand turn it was definately his fault, you should NEVER filter past a right hand turn.

People do like to pull spontaneous U-Turns without signalling or looking though, especially in traffic queues with a clear oncoming lane, so watch out for that as well.

You should also be especially careful near left hand junctions and gaps in the traffic, as a lot of people (courteously) let drivers out of left hand junctions, and people like to dive into open spaces.

As long as you stick to a few basic rules, filtering is fine with common sense.

I don't see the problem in filtering on a single carriageway with oncoming traffic, providing that there is space and you make sure you don't slip on the white lines, if someone's coming towards you that looks a bit spooked (You can usually tell) I usually stop until they have passed, no point in making people nervous.

T
    I did not say it was a dual carriageway. Also, if the car was turning right, it leaves the questions (a) was he/she indicating? and (b) was it safe to overtake at a road junction?

Who said that accident happened at a road junction? In the story it says 'filtering up the outside of stationary traffic when the car he was along side suddenly turned right'

That sound to me like the car he was along side decided they didn't want to queue, turned right into the path of the motorcyclist.
    To be fair, "turned right" usually means that they turned right, whereas "done a u-turn" means they did a u-turn ;)
    I understand that but what I was trying to say is that there are many road junctions that have lots of small side streets before you reach the traffic lights.

I read that story as if the motorcyclist was coming down the outside of the traffic when a car driver decided they didn't want to queue anymore and went to go up a small side street and hit the motorcyclist.